Barnes all around 06 round

NV_ARCH3R

I used to reload 20 years ago, and my 06 really liked the Barnes bullets. Made the move to archery, but broke out the rifle again lately. I don't reload anymore but am looking for a good "all around" Barnes round. Antelope to Elk\Bear. I 'm not one to shoot past 300 yds.

I use the 168 Barnes TTSX in my 30/06, but I reload. It is an excellent Deer, Elk, Bear round, and I plan to use it as a back-up Elk cartridge if my .340 Wby has a hiccup. There are several Factory loads that offer the 168 TTSX in their ammo, but I can't recall which ones. I'm sure someone will list several here in their replies.

I used to use the heavier Barnes bullets in my 30.06, the 180's and 165's but they retain most of their weight so I went to Barnes 150 gr. TTSX bullets, I can push them faster for more reliable expansion. I have some 130's that I have yet to try.

I used to use the heavier Barnes bullets in my 30.06, the 180's and 165's but they retain most of their weight so I went to Barnes 150 gr. TTSX bullets, I can push them faster for more reliable expansion. I have some 130's that I have yet to try.
Good point, I think the 150 TTSX would definitely work for OP also. I never really tried them, because I got 1/2 moa with the 168, I stopped there.

I was using the Federal Barnes 165's for years til they stopped offering them for sale.
1/2" MOA. Never had as good performance from 180's.
I like Barnes bullets. Excellent results .Think the 168's would be good too.Was going to try them & see how they work in my -06.

Went with Nosler Trophy AB's 5 yrs ago,1/2"MOA still & a bit more ummpf than the factory ammo I was using.

I was using the Federal Barnes 165's for years til they stopped offering them for sale.
1/2" MOA. Never had as good performance from 180's.
I like Barnes bullets. Excellent results .Think the 168's would be good too.Was going to try them & see how they work in my -06.

Went with Nosler Trophy AB's 5 yrs ago,1/2"MOA still & a bit more ummpf than the factory ammo I was using.
Don't think I would use a 150gr in my -06 for elk or bear,ever.

If you want to use Barnes in the 06 I would start with the 168gr TTSX.

I've never understood why folks choose to shoot Barnes bullets and then choose the heavy bullets. The benefits of the Barnes is to drop down in weight. I would shoot the 130 grain in the Barnes.

I've never understood why folks choose to shoot Barnes bullets and then choose the heavy bullets. The benefits of the Barnes is to drop down in weight. I would shoot the 130 grain in the Barnes.

My 06 hated the 150's. It loves the 180 E-tips and we'll see how it does with the 165's.

So there's that.

If you are not reloading I would look at Barnes vortex ammo in 150 gr. and 168 gr. and go with the one that shoots the best.

Nosler also has E-tip ammo in 150 and 168 that might be something to try.

Thanks all. I was leaning towards something around the 165/168 range. I find it hard to drop to the 130/150 when I think of bigger game. When I was hunting with the 06 it was generally recommended 150 for antelope, 165 for deer, and 180 for elk. With what I've been reading in the forum I thought the 165/168 Barnes would be just the ticket for an all around.

If you are not reloading I would look at Barnes vortex ammo in 150 gr. and 168 gr. and go with the one that shoots the best.

Nosler also has E-tip ammo in 150 and 168 that might be something to try.

My '06 loves the 150gr. IMO the best compromise between expansion and penetration at factory ammo velocities.

i too use the Barnes 168 TTSX in my x-bolt, it's a great compromise between the 150's and 180's. so far i've experienced complete pass throughs on game at various distances. my rifle puts them downrange at 1/2 MOA, plus they leave the barrel at an average of 2945fps. can't ask for more than that. i haven't tried any other bullet either, no need to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back