270 loads

Stubaby

Looking to build a load using a 140 gr accubond. Anybody have a good starting point or history with this bullet in .277?

Thanks in advance.

58.0 grains of H4831, that load has worked in a wide variety of rifles with a host of different bullets with great results. Obviously, you want to start low and work up because that's the max load according to Nosler's manual for the 140s. You'll notice the manual lists H4831SC but the burn rates are the same, or close enough that I haven't seen a difference, so use whichever one you have the best availability of. I'm getting sub MOA groups from my $400 Ruger American all day long with that exact load. You may have to tweak the seating depth for your rifle but the Accubonds are pretty forgiving compared to some: .030-.050 off the lands is where I'd start.

EDIT: Rancho beat me to it

Cool. Thanks guys.

How come the 270 isn’t talked about as much as others for a long range killer?

I would assume that out to 500 yards with a good 130-150 grain bullet that deer and elk would not like that pill very much.

Has anyone tried a 145 eldx?

58.0 grains of H4831, that load has worked in a wide variety of rifles with a host of different bullets with great results. Obviously, you want to start low and work up because that's the max load according to Nosler's manual for the 140s. You'll notice the manual lists H4831SC but the burn rates are the same, or close enough that I haven't seen a difference, so use whichever one you have the best availability of. I'm getting sub MOA groups from my $400 Ruger American all day long with that exact load. You may have to tweak the seating depth for your rifle but the Accubonds are pretty forgiving compared to some: .030-.050 off the lands is where I'd start.

EDIT: Rancho beat me to it

I've loaded the .270 some. H4831 and H4831SC are the exact same powder. The SC designates "short cut". Supposed to make the powder meter more consistently. Other than that, zero difference, and data interchanges. Lots of powders work with the 140 Accubond. I like to chase velocity. Stu, why you messing with a pedestrian cartridge like the .270 Winchester? Not getting "cloverleafs"? mtmuley

55 grains of 4000 MR and a Nosler 140-grain accubond have proven sub MOA in my tikka .270, harvested everything from elk to pronghorn 150-500 yards.

Haha MT Muley. I broke out my dads old Remington from under his bed at the cabin.

Want to bring it back to life. All he shot was factory. Just looking for a staring point.

I drew a good elk tag this fall and been thinking about using it for nostalgia’s sake.

I might give up after a few trips to the range tho......after all it is a Remington!!!!

Haha MT Muley. I broke out my dads old Remington from under his bed at the cabin.

Want to bring it back to life. All he shot was factory. Just looking for a staring point.

I drew a good elk tag this fall and been thinking about using it for nostalgia’s sake.

I might give up after a few trips to the range tho......after all it is a Remington!!!!

Got a good elk tag myself. Feed it the 140 with a powder of choice. Remington's shoot. mtmuley

I've loaded the .270 some. H4831 and H4831SC are the exact same powder. The SC designates "short cut". Supposed to make the powder meter more consistently. Other than that, zero difference, and data interchanges. Lots of powders work with the 140 Accubond. I like to chase velocity. Stu, why you messing with a pedestrian cartridge like the .270 Winchester? Not getting "cloverleafs"? mtmuley

Yea, that's my understanding as well though I've had people tell me otherwise. My loads are coming out about 2925 fps out of a 22" barrel which should be plenty out to 500 or so.
I think the biggest hindrance to the 270s long range capabilities is twist rate and heavy for caliber bullets. Don't get me wrong, it holds it's own against the 7mms and 30s until you get into the magnums where bullet weight meets higher velocity. Berger released the 170gr EOL Elite Hunter in .277 with a G1 BC of 0.703, but you'd need a 1:8 twist barrel to stabilize it and since pretty much all factory rifles are 1:10 you'd be pissing in the wind to even try em. Maybe if you wanted to rebarrel a shot out 270 Weatherby or WSM but outside of that we're basically stuck with 150s or less.

Last edited:
I too wonder why the 270 isn't more popular on here, it's a fantastic cartridge. My personal 270 has been my go to rifle for a while now, I get a kick out those that say a 270 is too small for certain large game, and then i prove them wrong each and every time. A good Accubond or Barnes bullet in 130gr. is all i've ever used, don't need anything else.

I’ve been a 270 fan boy since I bought one on my 18th birthday! In 1994!

I had it rebarrelled with a Shilen Match grade stainless barrel 24” long 1/10 twist in 2010

My best loads have been:

140gr Accubond
58.1gr RL22
Federal 210 primer

130gr Accubond
57gr H4831SC
Federal 210 primer

And best load ever and best groups I have ever shot
150gr Berger VLD Hunting
52.5gr H4350
Federal 210 primer

Oh, and it’s a Remington Model 700

Last edited:
I've yet to load for a .270 but everything I've read and searched seems to point to H4831sc. T
I'm going work up some test loads for my wife's .270 soon. She mostly hunts deer. I'm going to start with 130grn Interlocks with H4350, but that's mainly because its what I happen to have on hand.

I have loaded some 140 accubonds but they didnt like my initial load of 56-60 H4831sc seating them at .010 off the lands. I had such good groups with the 130 SST, I didnt play with them that much. The 130 SST are tack drivers in my rifle with 58 grains of H4831sc and the 129 Barnes LRX like 61.5 grains of H4831sc, all seating .010 off the lands. I haven't messed with the 145 eldx yet but once I get my .270 back from gettting a snazzy new barrel put on, I will do some load development with the 145 eldx and the 140 berger classic hunter. Those bullets have pretty good BC for a standard 1:10 twist barrel.
I agree with what Okie_hotrod said, and the 140-150 gr .277 bullets BCs are easily surpassed by a 6.5mm 143 eldx out of a 6.5-284 in wind drift and drop. If you want to shoot the 170 EOL you need to rebarrel a .270 to a 1:8 twist rate and I am not sure of the velocity you would get outa of a .270 with that heavy of a bullet to hunt long range. So a .270 wsm or a weatherby would be a better choice. Or save a bunch of money and shoot an off the shelf 7mm mag with 180 bergers and those have a better BC then the 170 EOL.
Now I love the .270 and its my go to rifle cartridge , I think it is a great round for deer and elk just not for extended range on elk, I would probably pick a different cartridge. Like a 7 STW pushing a 195 EOL berger in a Ruger #1. Too many wants I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back