Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wildfires and Plan B

FredoTwoWheels

Hello everyone, I went on my first archery elk hunt two years ago in Durango CO and was hoping to return this year because I now have light knowledge of the area. But it seems like there are big fires happening there currently which is making me rethink my plans. I know Randy always talks about hunting on recent burns, but would this be too recent to consider viable? Would it instead be better for me to look into hunting somewhere new, perhaps a different state, or would you soldier on and learn the new lay of the land? Thanks for any and all advice.

EDIT: I would swear I made an introductory post when I joined a couple years back, but it is showing this as my first post, so hello! My name is Fredo, I am a 30yr old North-Eastern whitetail hunter that now lives in California and has dreams of hearing bugles from mountaintops.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I went on my first archery elk hunt two years ago in Durango CO and was hoping to return this year because I now have light knowledge of the area. But it seems like there are big fires happening there currently which is making me rethink my plans. I know Randy always talks about hunting on recent burns, but would this be too recent to consider viable? Would it instead be better for me to look into hunting somewhere new, perhaps a different state, or would you soldier on and learn the new lay of the land? Thanks for any and all advice.

EDIT: I would swear I made an introductory post when I joined a couple years back, but it is showing this as my first post, so hello! My name is Fredo, I am a 30yr old North-Eastern whitetail hunter that now lives in California and has dreams of hearing bugles from mountaintops.

Here's my 2 cents. It will depend on where the fire actually is. If you look on InciWeb it will show you where current actual fires are. I would look to see if the fire has actually burned in the locations you are hunting. If it's not near your area you may consider going ahead as planned. If it is near your area then I would probably cut bait and go find another spot for at least this year maybe longer depending on the fire intensity.

Below is the 416 fire near Durango
Capture.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back