Caribou Gear Tarp

packing out

Don Fischer

I really like these Randy Newman video's but got to see something else. Once you get way back in there and shoot something, how do you pack it out? I just can't imagine shooting a big game animal in two or three mile's or more and getting it out. I'm pretty sure you don't have a partner along and one of you grab the front legs and one the back? Or maybe I'm wrong. Normally when I hunted when younger I always paid attention to where I was in relation to the truck. I would be up hill and a fairly steep hill at that. Cancelled out a bunch of country I'd have liked to have gone in. How about a video bringing out a dead 800# elk!

[video=youtube;Z2_QOG2LCrU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2_QOG2LCrU[/video]

Thank you Minn Hunter. I've wondered a lot of time's how these guy walking in got something like that out. I suspect there are some that may leave the last load! Friend of mine went in like that last year where we were hunting elk, doe season. I went in no farther than I could get my Bronco in. I asked him how he'd get one out of something like that and he told me he'd pack it! I'm 72 and I think he's 68. That would have been different. Bet we'd both have had a heart attack and not got it all out. That video sure show's how boning out helps. Years ago in Montana, I was young and strong, I helped a guy get out a bull his wife shot. Didn't have to go far, maybe 300yds if I remember right. He and I each carried out a front quarter and a rear quarter. He mentioned going back after the rack. I don't remember if he did it or not, I left. Can't eat those antler's and beside that, it was a scrub!

Hunting the same ranch again this year but leaving the Bronco home and taking the 4 wheeler,,,and gonna get bags for boned meat! Thank's again for that!

I like the rigidity the leg bones add when a quarter is strapped to a pack frame. Whatever extra weight the bones add will not make or break you when you're already packing a 70-80 lb quarter.
Also unless your bags of boned meat are contained inside a pack it's like trying to strap a bag of jello to a pack frame.

I've weighed both an elk front and rear leg bone before. They run pretty much the same at around 15lbs a piece. 60 lbs total is worth the time and effort to debone to me

Step 1: Always make sure large critter runs towards your truck when shot! ;)

You say, "but that may be only save 10's of yards!"
I say, "exactly, I'll take it!".

Nah, all joking aside, the most miserable packout my partner and I have done was 20 hrs from the time the arrow hit the bull until the tailgate closed. Loaded the packs as full as possible, and take our time. Meat was in bags, in a cold creek waiting on us to come back for more.

Last edited:
I've weighed both an elk front and rear leg bone before. They run pretty much the same at around 15lbs a piece. 60 lbs total is worth the time and effort to debone to me

100% Agree. Also you save easily 15 pounds by skinning out the head (if you are doing a euro, doesn't really matter if you are going for a shoulder mount). Boning out easily makes a 6 trip pack out 4 trips. Plus with Tag/ Caribou bags and any of the new packs (SG, MR, Kifaru, etc. ) You really don't have the jello issue Gr8bawana mentions.

I think I might invest in a pack that I may actually use this year! Had one for years and tried it on a couple time's but have never worn one hunting.

Back