Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Unit 444

dtwhite

Looking at hunting this unit the 1st week of September. I live in Alabama so making the trip out before the hunt really isn't possible. Curious if anyone has hunted the East side of the unit in the Holy Cross Wilderness. Wasn't sure how accessible Last Chance Trailhead and Tellerium Trailheads are and if I will be able to hike away from people in this area. Thanks for any insight anyone might have.

That is a very bleak outlook on the Vail Valley elk herd. Makes you wonder if the shed hunting restrictions the CPW put on the state is the first step towards controlling and limiting the time and amount of access even the general public will be allowed on public lands?
I also can’t believe there was even a mention (even though it was a brief one) of the predator issue in such an article. I hunt near the Vail Valley and every year I see more bears and bear sign than the year prior. I’m also starting to get more trail cam pics of both bears and mountain lions each year. They are both hard on calves maybe the CPW should attempt some enhanced control in predator department?

Meateater's recent podcast touched on that subject, I would listen to that podcast before diving headfirst into the area. A good buddy of mine grew up hunting that unit, doesn't touch it nowadays.

Thanks for the info and input. That article is interesting, I've still got to believe that if you put the work in there is opportunity here...

Back