Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

sleeping bags

mjw176

I am trying to get into back pack hunting and looking at some gear. I was looking at the Marmont sawtooth sleeping bag that comes in Xwide or standard width? I am 6'4 with large frame do you all find the 64" standard frame large enough or would the extra width be beneficial or more detrimental for a sleeping bag? Just wondering if nights get bitter cold do you all use additional blankets or wear heavy jackets in the bag were the extra space may also be beneficial.

Last edited:
Technically they tell you to buy sleeping bags tight to keep them warm. But if you are like me and sleep warm anyways you can buy bigger so you can curl up a little and be more comfortable. If you are lucky enough to have an REI nearby don't take our word for it. They'll have a little platform there for you to snuggle into different bags. Just don't fall asleep.

I'm using a Western Mountaineering Sequoia x-long. Sized to fit 6'6"...5 degree rating. Pricey but exceptional piece of gear. Packs small, and very very roomy. I'm 6'2. 195 and a side sleeper....no issues at all. Toasty. Also have an EE 20 degree quilt that allows for a lot of movement, ordered wide and long. Take a look at both....buy once, cry once!!

I have a mont-bell stretch 0 degree down bag. I am 6' 240lbs, never had an issue with size.

I will get a 30-35 degree bag from them this summer. My summer bag has worn out and need to replace it.

I really like the Marmot bags because of their expanded toe box design. I use an Elixir 30 for my early season archery hunts and I keep a sea to summit liner rolled up in it just in case temps dip down into the lower ranges. The sea to summit reactor liner adds about 10 degrees (in my experience) to the warmth rating in my bags, and weighs only 8 oz. Its difficult to give a hard and fast suggestion because bags are hugely dependent on personal comfort levels, but from the sounds of your build and whether you want a little more wiggle room or not, I'd opt for the wider bag. Its best to try em before you buy em (if you can). Im not a fan of wearing all of my base layer clothing to sleep in, so that is why I went with a liner. Plus they keep your bag from wearing down so fast imo. What works for me may be uncomfortable as hell to you. Try out a variety of bags, sleeping pads, etc., before you buy. Where you'll find your real comfort zone and what works for you, is through trial and error after a good amount of time sustaining yourself and hunting with what is strapped to your back.

Technically they tell you to buy sleeping bags tight to keep them warm. But if you are like me and sleep warm anyways you can buy bigger so you can curl up a little and be more comfortable. If you are lucky enough to have an REI nearby don't take our word for it. They'll have a little platform there for you to snuggle into different bags. Just don't fall asleep.

True you don't want them super loose, but if you are pushed up against the material (to where it is tight) you will notice that area becomes a cold spot.

I have a mont-bell stretch 0 degree down bag. I am 6' 240lbs, never had an issue with size.
That is a sweet bag. I have dreamed of those, but have always been too cheap to pull the trigger

I recently upgraded to a Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy 800 15 degree and am super happy. I'm 6'3" 225 lbs and have to move around from side to side a fair amount when I sleep. My old bag was much smaller and I was never near as comfortable. If it gets below 15 I normally throw in hand warmer in the bottom and almost always pack a silk liner to keep my bag clean and add a little warmth. If it gets really cold I will also wear my down vest and throw my hunting jacket over my feet since its the first location that get cold. As I was reserching bags two years ago I was impressed with the innovation that goes into the Sierra Designs bags and would recommend going to their site. They normally have videos that walk through each bag's features that really helps explain what the developers were thinking. Their backcountry bed bag is really a cool idea and when I am able to justify buying a wamer bag I will probably pick one up. Finally, Sierra Trading Post can be a great place to find dicounted bags. I think I picked mine up for almost $150 below retail.

I'm pretty sure the temperature rating on mummy bags assumes you are sleeping on your back with little to no additional space in the bag and an insulated sleeping pad under it. It will probably feel a lot more constrained than one is used to certainly not something you can toss and turn inside. No, I wouldn't buy one that fits like a pair of yoga pants. For instance, if you make your down bag lose it's loft, it won't insulated.

I have a 20 degree REI igneo down bag. Whatever you buy, you can layer if it's a little colder and unzip it if it is warmer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back