Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Terminal Capabilities of Berger's VLD Hunting Bullets?

i've shot Berger VLD'S out of 6.5x55,270 WSM, and the 30-06 with excellent results,accuracy and terminal performance on whitetail. On a recent elk hunt, a friend used the 168 VLD in his 7mm Rem mag and had excellent results on a nice bull. There are a lot of bullets out there that will do the job well. If it is accurate and you feel confident, its meat in the freezer.

Not the 168 grain you are asking about but I was bored a few days ago so I thought I’d do a little crude bullet testing with 6.5 140 grain berger started at 3100fps. I had an elk femur in the freezer for the dogs but decided to wrap it in a couple layers of card board. Then I taped the bone to a water jug and put it in line with a couple more. Walked back to 40 yards and shot the bone. Bullet blew through the femur and shrapneled in the first jug. If it had been a live elk it definitely would have ruined his day. That’s a rough test on a bullet and it did exactly as it was suppose to

Attachments

• 2F87EED0-6127-4E1F-9E25-2D345C5AE786.jpg
    2F87EED0-6127-4E1F-9E25-2D345C5AE786.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 290
  • 385BDA4F-EF36-4A09-9AF0-ACE37AAD1612.jpg
    385BDA4F-EF36-4A09-9AF0-ACE37AAD1612.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 13A35422-0D86-4DF5-BAE7-D01B7857B3F1.jpg
    13A35422-0D86-4DF5-BAE7-D01B7857B3F1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 290
If you hit an elk (or any game animal) with a .284 vld out of a 7rm from 0-1000 yards, shoulder, chest cavity, or neck and it is going down. If you hit the shoulder there will be meat loss, solution... don’t shoot them in the shoulder... 9 animals last year were killed with my 7rm and not one of them took a step and not one of them had significant meat loss. all were shot behind the shoulder or in the neck.

Brockel
140VLD hunting or hybrids? Either way that's pretty impressive and should prove what some of us already know about bergers.

I've been doing some reading and Berger's 168 gr VLD Hunting bullets seems to be a no-brainer for 7mm Rem Mags as far as accuracy is concerned.

I am looking for experience/advise on the terminal affects of Berger's VLD Hunting bullets on elk (caliber .284" and species elk preferred). Specifically, is this a bullet that if you hit the shoulder on a bull elk, the bullet is still going to punch through to the lungs/heart? Does it still perform under 300 yards despite it's design for 300 yards and out?

If you want to throw in your experience with the accuracy of these bullets that would be great too, but I'm more concerned with this bullet's terminal capabilities.

Thanks in advance.

I shoot the 168 gr HSM out of the .30-06 and have had great results. Touching holes at 100 yards. They shoot out of my gun.

Some guns do not like Bergers.

Animals do not go far if at all.

Shooting bone is not recommended with any bullet.

If you like heart meat, then this bullet would not be a great one if you aim low.

The only other thing is the amount of lead in meat, the bullet pretty much penetrates 3-4 inches and grenades.

They are a great bullet if your gun will shoot them well for thin skinned game.

I do not know if I would use them for thick skinned game, because the bullet may expand before it penetrates.

Which bullet would you say performed best? mtmuley

It really depends on what you look for in bullet performance. The berger and eldx did the most damage to the first jug which might have resulted in a quicker kill and t might not have. The lrab surprised the hell out of me on penetration. I’ll post results here in a little bit

Last edited:
Try the same thing with a regular Accubond. Wish I had a 6.5 Hammer to send you. Be interesting. mtmuley

Try the same thing with a regular Accubond. Wish I had a 6.5 Hammer to send you. Be interesting. mtmuley

I don't have any femurs left but have a couple shoulder blades I could try a 130 grain accubond on.

The 142 LRAB was started at 2950 fps. Shot from 40 yards again. The lrab blew through the bone and first jug, dumped a little shrapnel in the second jug, made it into the third jug and had enough momentum to put a hole in the far side of the 3rd jug but not enough to pass through. The lrab slug was 63.2 grains after all that. Didn't do near the damage the berger or eldx did to first jug but penetrated 3' of bone and water which is a hell of a performance at 40 yards if you ask me.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 166
143 eldx went through the femur and came apart about like the berger in the first jug.

Attachments

• eldx.jpg
    eldx.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 165
  • hornady.jpg
    hornady.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 143.jpg
    143.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 171
I shoot the 168 grn Berger in my 7mm.

I hit one elk in the shoulder from a fair ways away. It hit the bone and broke the shoulder, traveled through to the other side and hit the bone on the
other shoulder and fragmented along with the bone it hit. The first shoulder was ok. The offside shoulder was like hamburger.
I hit another one in the shoulder at close range and lost the first shoulder. You will do well to hit them behind the shoulder.
They fragment once they get inside. I tend to err on Mid-ship of the elk,
much to the chagrin of some on here. The elk won't go very far. It is my preferred bullet due to accuracy at extended range.
Much as it pains me, I agree with Lawnboy :W: choose your poison

Last edited:
You don't have to choose your poison. There are bullets that kill without the damage. As much as it pains me to say this, some of them are copper. mtmuley

I have had very good luck with the 168 VLD Hunter out of my 7Mag, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 dozen antelope, 4-5 whitetail, a dozen mule deer and two cow elk. Both elk were under 150 yards and both folded like a cheap green tent, complete passthroughs. God willing I will try them on a bill this year since I finally drew a bull permit. I have been using them since 2009, and couldn't be happier, it is my only hunting rifle/round, and my loaner for when family comes from out of state to hunt. I think it has more to do with using a bullet you trust than anything special about the bullet itself. We butcher our own game and have never recovered a bullet, nor do they waste any more meat than any other bullet, and we have never lost an animal hit with one. In fact I can only think of having to look for one buck hit too far back, that made it 60 yards.

Thanks for all the feedback from everybody. Exactly the kind of info/experiences I was looking for. I now feel very confident that once I get a load worked up, a 168 grain VLD Hunter is going to get the job done in short order.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcarter
Back