Caribou Gear

Giving back to Dad...

Robinhood21

My father, my best friend, is the reason I'm the person I am today. Growing up as a young kid I absolutely idolized him, hell, I still do. As a boy I remember helping him hang deer in the back yard, fighting over which one of us kids got to use the hand grinder as we always butchered our own deer, and fishing farm ponds catching stringers full of bluegill.

When I got old enough he always took me along bowhunting. He always asked me which stand I wanted to hunt, then would walk me to my stand and made sure I was all set up before making his way to his stand location. He always knew when it was too cold for me to hunt any longer and would always show up about the time I was ready to head for the truck. I never really thought about it much back then but now I realize how much he sacrificed his own hunting time and opportunities so he could bring me along.

He has worked his butt off all his life but always made time to hunt... at least here in our home state of Kansas.
When I was around 12 he got an invitation to hunt Elk in Colorado by one of his friends. He sent the deposit but when the time came, life happens and he wasn't able to go (even after his friend said he'd pay for the trip).

Growing up we always dreamed about doing various hunts, we were going to do them all! Well, time goes by and we always put things off or just talked about going and nothing really materializes. We're from Kansas so all we really knew was treestand hunting. I told myself,"IT'S NOW OR NEVER." We had no clue how to hunt out west or even out of our home state. He's now getting close to 60 and not getting any younger so the western game has to happen soon! A few years ago we went after pronghorn in Wyoming and had an absolute blast! AND THEN THE HUNGER BEGAN...

My father really doesn't understand the western point game (never researched it much) so I've taken it upon myself to get the man, that taught me everything I know about hunting, out West so he can experience as much as he can before his body tells him no. I feel like I owe it to him. He got me started in this wonderful life so I'm going to get in as many hunts possible for us before it's too late. All DIY.

This is what I have lined up

2018 - Wyoming Pronghorn - Can't seem to kick that habit since we started :)

2019 - Wyoming Mule Deer - This will be our first Mule Deer hunt

2020 - Alaskan Moose - THE CREAM OF THE CROP! We've dreamed about this hunt ever since I can remember. Drop Camp, DIY, Just him and I for 10-15 days in the Alaskan wilderness. We're calling it our 60, 35 Birthday Hunt. Already have the air taxi lined up and already accumulating gear.

2021 - Idaho or Montana Spring Bear - Dad has been to New Brunswick but it was guided sitting over bait.

2021 - Kansas Pronghorn - Should have the points needed to draw a rifle tag by then.

2022 - Alaskan Caribou or Mule Deer or Elk somewhere - This would be the Haul Road Hunt, Dad will be 62 by then so I'm hoping he still has the legs to get 5 miles off the road, hiking through tussocks.

Maybe I can sprinkle some others in there along the way but this is my plan at the moment. I keep telling him that I've got to get him on as many DIY hunts as possible before he turns into "Ol Man Rivers" :D

This one's for you Pops. Truly looking forward to all the memories along the way... heavy packs would just be a bonus.

Last edited:
Admirable.

My dad used to talk fishing when he retired. Never went. Died before it happened.

Enjoy your dad's adventure. Appreciate him every day.

Do not want to give a negative slant.

Absolutely, this is a great plan.!

Nice work! It sounds exactly like my dad and I's relationship. He wasn't such a big hunter, but he never let me miss a fishing trip. In 2011 I drew a moose tag in the BWCA Wilderness of Minnesota. He, hesitantly, decided to tag along. All he'd known was hunting deer from a treestand. He was hooked on the adventure and since then we've done another moose hunt (he drew in 2012), 3 Wyoming elk hunts, 2 New Mexico elk hunts, and 3 Wyoming antelope hunts, all public land DIY. He just turned 64 and, for his birthday, we found out we drew great Colorado cow elk tags. With any luck next week we'll find out that we drew Wyoming mule deer tags with our 5 points and a couple doe antelope tags to make for a great western road trip this fall. He's even discussing a leftover Wyoming cow hunt later on in the season without me.

I hope you are blessed with the same memories I have had the last 6 or 7 years with my dad. Wouldn't trade them for the world. It's tougher now with a young family of my own, but I'll do what it takes to go west with him every fall for as long as he's able and willing.

Admirable.

My dad used to talk fishing when he retired. Never went. Died before it happened.

Enjoy your dad's adventure. Appreciate him every day.

Do not want to give a negative slant.

Absolutely, this is a great plan.!

Absolutely will, thanks! Sorry to hear about your father.

Nice work! It sounds exactly like my dad and I's relationship. He wasn't such a big hunter, but he never let me miss a fishing trip. In 2011 I drew a moose tag in the BWCA Wilderness of Minnesota. He, hesitantly, decided to tag along. All he'd known was hunting deer from a treestand. He was hooked on the adventure and since then we've done another moose hunt (he drew in 2012), 3 Wyoming elk hunts, 2 New Mexico elk hunts, and 3 Wyoming antelope hunts, all public land DIY. He just turned 64 and, for his birthday, we found out we drew great Colorado cow elk tags. With any luck next week we'll find out that we drew Wyoming mule deer tags with our 5 points and a couple doe antelope tags to make for a great western road trip this fall. He's even discussing a leftover Wyoming cow hunt later on in the season without me.

I hope you are blessed with the same memories I have had the last 6 or 7 years with my dad. Wouldn't trade them for the world. It's tougher now with a young family of my own, but I'll do what it takes to go west with him every fall for as long as he's able and willing.

That is awesome! Time is so prescous and it seems it goes by faster than we realize!

Outstanding!!! My dad recently retired but lives on the east coast so I get to see him once or twice a year. Every time he comes over I have something planned for him. Whether it be a fishing trip, camping trip or scouting up in the mountains. He really enjoys it and I love his company. He is almost 68.

Back