MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Newbie needing CO help

Zimmy87

Hello everyone. Me and my brother drew a tag for Colorado elk first rifle around flat tops unit 12 24 25 231 and a few more. after pouring over Maps I'm slightly overwhelmed looks like a huge area this being my second elk hunt. We are going to be backpacking in a few miles setting up camp and hunting from there. was looking at unit 12 possibly Wilson Mesa or flat tops wilderness in that unit. Really not set on unit 12. Was also looking at other parts of the flat tops wilderness. I know that we wilhmm uhl probably see people which I don't mind seeing a few as long as it's not like PA State Game Land.Lol just would like to get into some elk. Hoping for some insight from someone that's been there. feel free to p.m. me if you'd like not looking for any honey holes either

I can't offer any specific advise on the area, but know guys that hunt it every couple years. Have multiple backup plans and hunt all day. Most of their success is during the mid day by other hunters bumping elk around.

Welcome to the group. I know some guys that hunted 24 and they were successful during the last 3 years of hunting First Rifle Season. I don't have anything else to share, Good Luck. - ColoradoHunter719

Are you still heading to 12? Maybe I'll see you out there. We're looking at some of the same areas you mentioned. Getting close!!!!

You bet it's getting close! I'm getting really excited! I actually decided to focus on a spot in 24 no reason in particular just like what I found on maps,Google earth, onx, ect. Sounds like there's elk yo be found in both units just need to put boots on the ground and go find them. I'd be interested to know how you made out maybe we can shared notes. And hopefully picks. Shoot Straight be safe have fun!

Lots of places to choose from. Find one with the terrain you'd like to hunt close to those summer concentration maps. That's what I would start with. Good luck!

We were just up in that area on my buddy's moose hunt. I'd suggest getting the phone # of an outfitter to pack meat for you, that will open up a lot of opportunity in the wilderness area. The Flat Tops can be tough in terms of terrain, but the elk are there.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back