Default Newbie needing CO help

Hello everyone. Me and my brother drew a tag for Colorado elk first rifle around flat tops unit 12 24 25 231 and a few more. after pouring over Maps I'm slightly overwhelmed looks like a huge area this being my second elk hunt. We are going to be backpacking in a few miles setting up camp and hunting from there. was looking at unit 12 possibly Wilson Mesa or flat tops wilderness in that unit. Really not set on unit 12. Was also looking at other parts of the flat tops wilderness. I know that we wilhmm uhl probably see people which I don't mind seeing a few as long as it's not like PA State Game Land.Lol just would like to get into some elk. Hoping for some insight from someone that's been there. feel free to p.m. me if you'd like not looking for any honey holes either

Turn on summer concentration elk will be in that general area, it's up to you to figure out where they are specifically once you get boots on the ground. Most likely it will be the places you really don't want to hike in to.
    https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/...p=HuntingAtlas

Welcome aboard.
    You can't get lost if you don't care where you are going.

4. Default

I can't offer any specific advise on the area, but know guys that hunt it every couple years. Have multiple backup plans and hunt all day. Most of their success is during the mid day by other hunters bumping elk around.

Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    Turn on summer concentration elk will be in that general area, it's up to you to figure out where they are specifically once you get boots on the ground. Most likely it will be the places you really don't want to hike in to.
    https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/...p=HuntingAtlas
    ^^^^This. Wllm nailed it. The Summer Elk Concentration layer is very accurate in my experience. Great place to start.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the group. I know some guys that hunted 24 and they were successful during the last 3 years of hunting First Rifle Season. I don't have anything else to share, Good Luck. - ColoradoHunter719

Thanks for the replies! Leaning more towards wilderness area of 12. This is a great site ton off info on here!

Welcome from MS!