Forage options in an avalanche chute

Paul in Idaho

Last weekend I hiked into an avalanche chute I have been studying on Google Earth. These photos were taken around 8900 elevation, top of chute is about 9600. I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether this is a place worth hunting for mule deer.

chute-view.jpg

It's a beautiful spot, but I'm not sure if it has enough forage to be a good place to hunt.

The vegetation type isn't quite what I was hoping to find. Much of the green is new growth fir trees, and some sort of low sprawling evergreen. Some of them have berries, so maybe some type of juniper? I haven't heard of mule deer eating conifers so am thinking these aren't likely to attract deer to the area.
low-juniper.jpg
juniper-berries.jpg

There are deciduous shrubs also, just not a large quantity. They seem to grow near the base of the young fir trees as well as scattered in the rocks. Do you recognize this plant, and is it good muley food?
shrub-new-leaves.jpgwoody-shrub.jpg

Last edited:
Common juniper (Juniperus communis) and Russett buffaloberry (Sheperdia canadensis)

Looks like the larger diameter trees are Douglas fir and some of the taller narrow topped trees are probably Subalpine fir.

Last edited:
I was waiting out some bad weather at the base of chute similar to this one while sheep hunting a few years ago and had a band of does walk right by me feeding. It was September though and the bucks were likely higher up the mountain.

Try those juniper berries in your venison stew. Gives it a good flavor.

Thank you for the plant ID and juniper berry food ideas. My next scouting trip is planned for the top of the mountain. I'll watch for animal trails into this area and glass it from above too. They have to be around somewhere close. I saw one bull elk last weekend. He was in easier terrain than this.

Keep an eye on those shrubs for browsing as well.
The ends of the twigs will be cut of square when an animal eats it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back