A 2017 Moose Hunt

It would SURE be interesting if you could integrate a scale on that "moose lift".

Very cool! How about a little more on those trucks? You running Rockwells under them? Can't get a very good look in those pics. That, and Alaska is HUGE! Whereabouts are you from/hunt?

Very cool! How about a little more on those trucks? You running Rockwells under them? Can't get a very good look in those pics. That, and Alaska is HUGE! Whereabouts are you from/hunt?

Rockwells they are.
Living 40+ years in Alaska, hunt off the road system. Early days by boot leather, horse, then 3 wheelers, 4 wheeler, 6x6, now the ultimate side by side.

Thought so. I meant where in Alaska are you from? I've been up there 4 times now, been looking to buy a house and move! Maybe a thread about how you built those things would be nice.

Thought so. I meant where in Alaska are you from? I've been up there 4 times now, been looking to buy a house and move! Maybe a thread about how you built those things would be nice.

Live in the Mat-Su, outside Wasilla. Every rig has a story

My brother is looking for a legal bull, and Kyle is ready for a Bou.
The guys are hitting it hard.

Hard Hunting.jpg

Since Our hunt began, three black bears have been spotted, one distant grizz, a sow grizzly with two cubs showed up downhill from the gut pile site. They seemed a bit leary and faded into the brush. Next morning we found that spot was cleaned up. Caribou were scarce this year, plenty of cow moose and calves around.

Another day at first light, I spot big white flags over two miles out. Couldn't verify legal so, we moved quickly to get a better look. Stomping though wet brush, boggy ground, down and up a steep ravine, we arrived in the area. Settled down on a small knob and began calling. Over a hour, no response. Suddenly a small group of caribou pop up on the ridge behind us. Cows and a nice bull, walking single file, bull in the rear. 120 yards and moving closer. A single shot by Kyle dropped him in the brush, the others just stood around. We stayed put and moose called for about another hour.

No moose presenting themselves, time to check out the Bou.

Caribou Kyle.jpg

Load em up

Moose buggies & caribou.jpgMoose caribou buggy.jpg

Ease him off Kyle's truck for field dressing.

Moose Buggy & Caribou.jpg

Bear came in a night and cleaned up the Bou pile.

Packed up and heading home.

Moose Buggies Ak.jpg

A very good year!

Cool! I really like those rigs. Never able to build that big here due to nowhere to run them. 44s are the biggest I've had. I may have to look you up and visit next time we're up. Been looking in the Willow area for a house. Put quite a few miles on rentals exploring the back roads around there. Thanks for posting those pics!

rlmmatt,

Designated areas are in the hunting regulations for each Game Management Unit.
Areas "closed to motorized vehicles"
"restricted to vehicles less than 1,000 lbs. GVW"
"restrict off-road vehicles to designated trails"
Alaska is blessed with countless miles of trail. ATV's, SxS, 4wd, tracked rigs, and big off road trucks are common. Each summer we explore new areas.
Hunting has everyone making mud in August & September

How fortunate that you shot your moose right on one of the designated trails, huh? :confused:

How fortunate that you shot your moose right on one of the designated trails, huh? :confused:

We don't hunt Designated areas that are listed in the game regs, and yes moose have been dropped in trails.
Like most, our choice of transport gets us to camp, just off the trail.
Guess I'm fortunate, seen alot of moose drop over the years.

fortunate_ "favored by or involving good luck or fortune; lucky"

The harder & smarter I work, the more lucky I get.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back