Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

A 2017 Moose Hunt

BearFoot

We set off to explore new country, and had 18 days to do it. Moose is what I like to chase, and my son had a hard on for Caribou. I first took him caribou hunting at age seven, and now after twenty years, chasing moose, he wanted his first bou. Access to back country is by moose buggy. Our rigs are built to handle mud, float bogs, cross rivers, but they can get stuck.
Moose buggy stuck.jpg

We are in a beautiful place!
Moose country.jpg

After setting up camp for a long stay, typically find a place to spot from.
Spotting Moose.jpgMoose hunt rainbow.jpg

Blue berries are ripe. Pan size pancakes.
Blueberry Pancake.jpg

We have a rule. He who first spots game has first shot. Kyle finds this guy,
Moose 1.png

And verifing over 50", we call, scatch him up
Moose.png

Moose down a nice 60" bull
60in Alaska Moose.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
The hike back to camp was about two miles. Now late afternoon, we gathered up the moose recovery gear and headed back. After more photo's, it was decided that we should get closer to camp befoe dark. Kyle built his moose buggy over two years, and this was his first hunt, with it. He wanted to haul moose, with the new truck.
Moose hoist.jpg

I picked his moose and set it hooves in the air, for a better pick.
Happy boy, moose loaded.

Hoisted Moose.jpgMoose buggy 2.jpg

Got back near camp just after sundown, where we field dressed and skinned bullwinkle.
Next day quartered and hung on the meat poles.

moose buggy night.jpg
skinned moose.jpg
moose quarters.jpg
moose man.jpg

Weather changed, socked in! Visability was poor the next few days.

Moose Camp.jpg
Moose camp 2.jpg

Flip'N for moose

Attachments

• moose man.jpg
    moose man.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 826
September is prime time for hunting Alaska. Love the fall colors.
Alaska September Colors.jpg

Young bulls

Fork moose.jpg
Young Bull Moose.jpg

Awesome picts. Being a Floridian can you take moose vehicle any ware or just designated areas. Just curious and thanks for the post

rlmmatt,

Designated areas are in the hunting regulations for each Game Management Unit.
Areas "closed to motorized vehicles"
"restricted to vehicles less than 1,000 lbs. GVW"
"restrict off-road vehicles to designated trails"
Alaska is blessed with countless miles of trail. ATV's, SxS, 4wd, tracked rigs, and big off road trucks are common. Each summer we explore new areas.
Hunting has everyone making mud in August & September

socked in.jpg

Sometimes the clouds drop to the ground, fog rolls in, usually wet. Wind can blow hard, making spotting or just sitting misrable. It's a good time to sharpen knives, clean rifles, tidy up camp. Nap. Sucks when it carries on for days.

Finally sunrise.

sunrise.jpg

We climb a hill for better spotting. Three of us scanning 360*, usual caribou about.

Bou.jpgYoung Caribou.jpg

Light is getting better and I spot a cow moose with the binos. Zoom in by scope, find another. Then he steps out. Same bull we saw days earlier, hanging with a larger buddy. I already know this one is legal. Time to move, we got a mile to cover. Brush is chest high, we skirt a beaver pond, now within several hundred yards. Morning Tempratue is just below freezing, frosty, but I'm sweat'n. Took this picture

phonescope.png

On the edge of trees, in heavy brush, he is steps away from being gone.
I instructed Kyle to begin a brush scrape, bull grunt challange. The bull had cows and it wasnt expected that he would leave them. Plan was to draw his attention, while I slipped down a draw to get closer without notice. Moving through brush makes alot of noise.
Got as close as the terrian allowed, aways off yet. To get steady, dropped the pack, set up the scope tripod for a rest. On my knees, high enough to clear the brush, I got loose, held the breath, then sqeezed one off.
There is a first time for everything! Maybe a bit to loose.

scoped.jpg

The guys came down and my brother ranged it at 360 yards. Then that bull stood up, started making a hard limp toward the trees! Second shot put him back in the brush.
I did mention thick brush. It took quite awhile to locate Mr. Big.

IMG_1788.jpgIMG_1792.jpg

Looks like a hot sunny day coming on, bugs starting to fly. We hike back to camp.
Lunch, Moose Jalapeno cheese dogs, beans with onions. Not just for dinner any more.

Moose & Beans.jpg

Then back to give this moose a lift.

rlmmatt,

Designated areas are in the hunting regulations for each Game Management Unit.
Areas "closed to motorized vehicles"
"restricted to vehicles less than 1,000 lbs. GVW"
"restrict off-road vehicles to designated trails"
Alaska is blessed with countless miles of trail. ATV's, SxS, 4wd, tracked rigs, and big off road trucks are common. Each summer we explore new areas.
Hunting has everyone making mud in August & September

Thanks for getting back and adding a little knowledge to the toolbox

A few more pics as we load him up. Had a bear come clean up Kyles pile at night, thought we would dress this one out in the same spot.

Moose 4x4.jpgHoisted moose.jpg

He is very pleased with the trucks moose hauling capabilities.

moose buggy loaded.jpg

Moose Buggies

Moose buggies.jpg

Moose Hauling Buggies.jpg

Moose hauling buggy.jpg

After what I went through to get my Alaska/Yukon moose, I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this thread.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your story. Those trucks are pretty awesome, I can see how they'd be great tools when used responsibly.

Keep the story coming!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back