Muzzle Brake Cost

bbateman

I'm thinking of getting a muzzle brake put on my Howa 1500 30-06. I'd rather have a gunsmith put one on rather than a bolt-on. Does anyone have any experience with the cost of getting a muzzle brake on your gun?

Before you incur the cost of putting on a muzzle break have you thought about the down side. Muzzle breaks are louder and if you shoot prone they tend to kick alot of sediment up, unless you use a directional break. The cost might out way what you're looking to gain.

I'm fine with it being louder and sediment doesn't bother me as I'm not usually hunting in the desert but I hadn't thought of that possible drawback. I'd like to reduce the recoil and since I usually end up hunting alone have a better ability to track the shot through my scope.

In the past couple years I’ve had a muzzle brake put on 2 guns. I apologize, I can’t recall exactly which one off hand but the same for both guns. Both guns were $230 for the brake, threading the barrel & installation. Had them put on a .300 win mag & 257 weatherby so my wife & kids could shoot them. They would not shoot them before & have no problem doing so now. Always use ear protection obviously.

If I lived in a freedom loving state I'd be shopping suppressors as opposed to muzzle brakes, all the recoil benefits with volume up to 50db less.....and remember that decibels are logarithmic and not linear.

Why do you want a brake on a 30-06? My Howa 1500 in 30-06 is one of my least recoiling guns with the nice butt pad they put on from the factory.

I like the muzzle breaks. I had a vais installed on my 300 win this past winter for about $260. It's not as loud as some of the other breaks. I wouldn't shoot it with out hearing protection though. I just remove it prior to hunting and replace with a thread protector.

I looked really hard at a suppressor as well, and that's not a bad road to go down, but the break offered significantly more recoil reduction at a fraction of the price.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I added about a pound to my .30/06 through a wood laminate stock, bedding compound, sling, and a 50 mm scope. I also put on a Limbsaver recoil pad. Took it from roughly 7.5 lbs to 8.5 lbs. Although recoil reduction wasn't my initial goal, it was a pleasant benefit.

I just put a muzzle brake on my .308 mostly because my gun was threaded so I thought heck, why no try it? The Surefire Procomp costs $50 and is good balance between increased muzzle blast while still reducing recoil by over 50 percent. After shooting yesterday, I'll admit that it's kind of cool having a .30 Cal that kicks like my .243. not sure how much to thread the barrel, but that may give you on/off and other options. No doubt, a 30-06 gives a good amount of recoil even in a slightly heavier sporting rifle.

+1 to the suppressor over a muzzlebreak. If I were doing it with a smooth barrel, I would pay the extra for the suprressor. For perhaps $500 more you get the benefits of a break, and the much more superior benefits of a supressor.

Perhaps 500 dollars more would be a total of over 3 times as much as the $230 the gentleman quoted above. I would just go with neither in that case especially if I was just experimenting. I'm pretty certain the increased muzzle blast doesn't even really impact you the shooter but rather to the sides of you if you happen to be at a public range. I try to avoid the range during busy periods but even then I have several times had a wannabe GI Joe literally firing a bump stock for hundreds of rounds. And one should feel guilty about a muzzle brake? Heck , I wish I had an extra loud muzzle brake to screw on at the range to discourage Yahoo crowding.

If your going to have a brake installed I'd recommend using a MBM brake. Nathan at muzzlebrakesandmore.com is an awesome guy and his brakes work amazing.

I used to be firmly against brakes.

Finally, I broke down and bought a rifle that was threaded for a brake. I figured if I didn’t care for it, I could always just throw the thread protector on and call it a day.

It’s just a 7mag, but oh man is it the softest shooting gun with the brake. Kicks less than the 243 I have if you can believe that. Sure, lots of noise and muzzle blast. I don’t hunt without hearing protection due to being in bands when I was younger and hearing loss incurred with that, want to try and save what I still have! Anyway, there’s literally no downsides for me. I don’t shoot at the range, and I typically hunt solo. If I had a partner along I’d be inclined to warn him/her, and be prepared to throw on the thread protector, but otherwise it’s staying on.

I'd look at magnaporting your rifle. I've had it done on a 340 WM. It doesn't throw up a lot of dust from a prone shot, and it isn't nearly as loud as a muzzle brake. Recoil is reduced by about half and muzzle jump is reduced almost to nothing, cost is around $125-150. Check it out. GJ

What do you base your certainty on? This is a good read if you're interested.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/07/muzzle-brakes-sound-test/

I guess I'll have to develop another passive aggressive strategy for my enemies at the range.

Regardless a good muzzle brake seems to run 50-100 dollars but you would need the barrel threaded. The porting looks like a good deal but you can't change it up or take it off. But I guess a gunsmith could chop it off pretty cheap.

I'd look at magnaporting your rifle. I've had it done on a 340 WM. It doesn't throw up a lot of dust from a prone shot, and it isn't nearly as loud as a muzzle brake. Recoil is reduced by about half and muzzle jump is reduced almost to nothing, cost is around $125-150. Check it out. GJ

I didn't know about this optoin. Where'd you get it done?

I'm thinking of getting a muzzle brake put on my Howa 1500 30-06. I'd rather have a gunsmith put one on rather than a bolt-on. Does anyone have any experience with the cost of getting a muzzle brake on your gun?

Typically it will be around $200

$100 to thread the barrel and $100 for the brake and install depending on the brake.

If Kick it that bad out of a Howa 1500 in .30-06, then you may want to look at getting a different caliber or getting a limbsaver.

I know a few people that put a brake on a .30-06 and did not receive the reduction in recoil that they were seeking.

A boyd's laminated wood stock would be another option, but then you are adding weight to the gun - which will reduce recoil and increase the weight of the gun.

Check out magnaport.com, you can ship directly to them without an FFL as it is considered a repair by a licensed gunsmith. GJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back