Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Muzzle Brake Cost

Before you pay for all of that, have you tried improving just the recoil pad? I have a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06 that was a very hard recoiling rifle. Just sighting it in with a few shots would leave a pretty good sized bruise on my shoulder and I definitely started to flinch after a few shots. I started researching muzzlebreaks just like you but someone recommended to try a limbsaver recoil pad. I got one off Amazon for $20 so figured it was worth a try. It was amazing the difference it made. I now shoot 2 boxes of ammo at the long distance range and could keep going without a problem. After a couple boxes my shoulder does still get a little sore from the overall impact but no marks and no more flinching.

Now Im not opposed to muzzlebreaks. I have one on my 300 BO AR but it is extremely loud so I dont like to shoot it with my kids around even with hearing protection. I'm not sure specifically for the cost of a gunsmith installed muzzlebreak but I just had my Tikka T3 barrel threaded for $100 from a local gunsmith. He did a great job and even created me a custom thread protector. Now I could install any thread on muzzlebreak at this point if I wanted to; however, I got it threaded for use with a surpressor. My surpressor is still in the ATF waiting process so not sure the improvement that will make on recoil but I'm sure it and the limbsaver will make it pretty much non-existent.

Thanks for the input guys, I just wanted to get some different opinions before going too far down the road.

Check out an area 419 hellfire muzzle brake. They are self timing and simple to install. I have 2 of them and love them.

If you decide you don't like the brake take it off and put a thread protector on. Although I'm sure once you can watch your bullets impact you won't be taking the brake off.

Check out Witt Machine clamp on muzzle breaks, I'm getting one for my tikka 300 mag next week. Really good reviews and less than 90 bucks. Surprisingly it looks pretty good too.

Last edited:
Check out magnaport.com, you can ship directly to them without an FFL as it is considered a repair by a licensed gunsmith. GJ
Just to chime in.... I took my 7mm in to get ported last year. Magnaport did a great job and seemed to take great care of my rifle. Scope was not removed and there was only a little fine tuning to do; nothing major once I got it back. They provided a quick turn-around (about 2 weeks) although I got it to them in late spring, so the earlier the better.
Now heres the best reason that Im partial to MP..... because I only live 20 minutes from them and I didnt have to ship! HaHa..... so that helped a TON!

If adding a brake have your barrel threaded and while buying the brake also buy a thread protector cap. The reason for the cap you won't have to make changes to your hardcase, and is you don't like the brake too. Buy a directional brake!

$150 to $250 depending who does it and what you get, I have a bunch of breaks on rifles and love them.

sneakypete. is the area419 hellfire considered a directional brake?

if so I would agree, i don't have that specific brake but have a brake on my 280ai and love it for summertime shooting, 120grain bullets and the 280ai barely moves, roars but is no worse when laying behind the rifle. in the fall when may be hunting with others i put on the threaded protector sight in with heavy bullets and good to go

I can recommend one bolt on break if you're interested. With the bolt on you have the choice of removing it if you like, and may even be able to use it on more than one rifle. As long as the barrel end diameter is very similar and caliber is same or smaller.
The Witt Machine & Tool Co. makes what I think are the best b olt on brakes at a great price. The last I purchased cost me $145.00 with shipping and was easy to install, looked great and reduced recoil more than any brake I have used in the past or since.
They do thread on brakes also, but the cost of threading a barrel is more than I would pay.

I'm thinking of getting a muzzle brake put on my Howa 1500 30-06. I'd rather have a gunsmith put one on rather than a bolt-on. Does anyone have any experience with the cost of getting a muzzle brake on your gun?

I had a brake put on my 30-06 Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker recently. Cost was $225 and lead time was a month.

It's great! My daughter has been shooting it with confidence and that's the primary reason I did it. If she's not confident, she's not going to practice. If she's not going to practice, I'm not going to let her shoot at an elk. Recoil is the same as her .243.

I’ve used Hi tech customs in Colorado Springs for a couple muzzle brakes they do a good job turn around is quick and they match the contour of your muzzle..

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back