Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Job Options with a Criminal Justice Degree

WBouldin

My brother just graduated from Indiana State with a criminal justice degree and is looking for work. His original plan was to be a game warden but the state isn’t hiring in the near future.

Other than that job, he really doesn’t want to get into law enforcement and thinks his options are limited by that. He’s an avid fisherman and would prefer a job not behind a desk.

Does anyone have suggestions for jobs he could look into being fresh out of school? He wants to stay in Indiana

If his intention is to become a Game Warden, I would suggest trying to get on with the Indiana DNR in some capacity. Being fresh out of school, he could do any entry level job, doesn't have to be CJ related. It would be a big help if he already worked for DNR before applying to be a Warden since those positions are in higher demand with historically less turnover than a traditional PD. If he doesn't do that...look for a job as a ranger, or something similar, so he gets experience dealing with public and the environment.

I have a BS in CJ from Ball State and was a Sheriff's Deputy for a bit. Had a great relationship with our DNR officer and he was a HARD working man. I would also say to look for a job with either IN DNR or maybe the Forest Service and perhaps get some LEO experience as a reserve officer in a local department while waiting for a round of DNR hiring. That is if he really wants to stay home. I hope he realizes the DNR slots are VERY competitive with lots being filled with current LEOs (especially considering the double/extra academy requirement). As much as I LOVE home, I have lived all over the world because of the Army and the west offers a lot opportunity for jobs as well as hunting/fishing/living. Feel free to PM me if he has any questions I could answer or would like my perspective.

Move or get federal cert and do seasonal work in national parks as a ranger. He needs actual work experiance not just a piece of paper its like most real jobs.

Tell him to look at USAjobs.gov! I have been a federal officer working for the Gov't for the past 16 years, decent retirement, great pay, and you can work all over the country.

His job options? Anything. Literally just about anything.

When I was in college, pondering making the right decision of what I should get my degree in because this had consequences for the rest of my life, I wish someone had told me to just get a degree. Anything. Other than specialized degrees like Engineering and Architecture, most places just require a degree. They don't say what degree. My buddy's wife is the manager of a bank and she has a nutrition degree. Someone wants to go to med school/law school/MBA/ect, just get the degree. Don't worry about what its for. Take classes to prepare you for it, but just get the degree.

So with that said, tell him to keep his mind open. If he wants to be a game warder, some advice was given in this thread. But if he's looking for a job, the sky's the limit.

His job options? Anything. Literally just about anything.

When I was in college, pondering making the right decision of what I should get my degree in because this had consequences for the rest of my life, I wish someone had told me to just get a degree. Anything. Other than specialized degrees like Engineering and Architecture, most places just require a degree. They don't say what degree. My buddy's wife is the manager of a bank and she has a nutrition degree. Someone wants to go to med school/law school/MBA/ect, just get the degree. Don't worry about what its for. Take classes to prepare you for it, but just get the degree.

So with that said, tell him to keep his mind open. If he wants to be a game warder, some advice was given in this thread. But if he's looking for a job, the sky's the limit.

This has not been my experience at all. A bachelor's degree today is almost like a HS diploma was 20 or 30 years ago, just having one doesn't give you much of a leg up anymore. Sure, any degree is probably better than no degree, but if you want a specific career the best thing to do is look at the qualifications for a job in that field, then go get those qualifications.

It's gotten now that sometimes having the degree isn't necessarily enough, they're even looking at transcripts to see what courses you took. This is especially true in the federal government, which has been suggested here as a career track for this fella. Many positions require minimum amounts of credits in specific categories, regardless of the title of your degree.

I know many people my age (30) who were told "just go to college and you'll get a good paying job." A lot of those folks now work at Wal-Mart, serve tables, etc. and are still paying their student loans. My sister has a dual bachelor's, but it's in Creative Writing and French. She works night shift at the Holiday Inn.

My brother just graduated from Indiana State with a criminal justice degree and is looking for work. His original plan was to be a game warden but the state isn’t hiring in the near future.

Other than that job, he really doesn’t want to get into law enforcement and thinks his options are limited by that. He’s an avid fisherman and would prefer a job not behind a desk.

Does anyone have suggestions for jobs he could look into being fresh out of school? He wants to stay in Indiana

You can look at https://www.usajobs.gov/

For MSHA or OSHA jobs, because some of them can be in Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, or Alaska.

They do not pay the best starting out, but you get 4 weeks vacation and great retirement.

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions! Hes been busy on USA jobs and has multiple apps out now. Thanks!

Tell him to go into the National Guard as an MP officer and gain experience there. Military experience is always worth a lot, and sometimes they have programs to pay off student loans. Another thing he could do with his degree is to go into the state Department of Corrections. I made a damned good living doing it between stints in the military. State benefits are hard to beat and you get preference for other state jobs if he wants to get into a State Trooper job. With his degree he'll move up the ladder quickly in DOC.

Bear in mind that recently nearly all the federal LEO hires have been veterans (at least in the natural resource agencies I’m familiar with). If he’s got any military service, it will help immensely.

I agree with this. Military service is a great benefit when applying for many Gov. jobs. In my state the game commission often sends out a press release when new hires complete the academy, I've noted a trend that many many many of them have military experience. Not sure what credits he has, but it's often helpful to have a minor or some other education in wildlife management, or some natural sciences.
In addition to that I will echo what others have said, gain relative experience anyway that you can. Not sure how things operate in your state, but here in PA we have deputy game wardens who are essentially unpaid volunteers that work directly with and under the guidance of a paid warden. Besides that, any sort of outdoor recreation/park ranger/police experience would be helpful. Perhaps also consider getting an internship. Here in PA, several people have also advised me that it can be beneficial to get into the state employment system however you can, and then attempt to transfer to the position that you desire.

I've had some considerations in the past of taking a similar route(I also have a degree in criminal justice) and it certainly seems to me like it's a career where you are going to have to "pay your dues", and bide your time, often with years of stepping stone jobs and seasonal employment, before attaining your goal. I'm sure there are some instances of people getting lucky and being hired right out of school, but this is the exception and not the norm.

Last edited:
I know a recruiter and we had the Michigan State Police and DNR soliciting candidates today from our formations. Military service is definitely a leg up in that world.

Tell him to go into the National Guard as an MP officer and gain experience there. Military experience is always worth a lot, and sometimes they have programs to pay off student loans. Another thing he could do with his degree is to go into the state Department of Corrections. I made a damned good living doing it between stints in the military. State benefits are hard to beat and you get preference for other state jobs if he wants to get into a State Trooper job. With his degree he'll move up the ladder quickly in DOC.

Learn something new everyday on here. Hey 5 O I need to hit the store it looks like da end of da month in this rack!!!!

But back on topic military service is the one thing I don't have and being a federal empolyee it makes it tough for me to sometimes score ahead of the vet pool on positions. But I can't complain I love my gig and have it made. Military vet preference is a big deal inside the federal hiring pool.

My ex-wife has a bachelor degree in criminal justice. She started out in the public defenders office in our county and then took a promotion to become a judicial assistant for the county's chief criminal judge. Nice thing about the gig is that its a union job so good benefits, retirement, and decent pay. But one of the biggest benefits is that if you work in the public sector for 10 years they will pay off your student loans.

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions! Hes been busy on USA jobs and has multiple apps out now. Thanks!
Do remember or share, Fed LEO positions may take anywhere from six months to a year and some occasions longer. It's the background / Security Clearance. Most involve selection based on scored points / classification, etc.

Questions, etc can often find info related to hiring within forums such as:

http://www.delphiforums.com

https://forum.officer.com/forum/employment-careers/law-enforcement-job-center

These are great to understand the current hiring trend, groups receiving letters, etc. Allows one to track where they may be in the process when learning others who've received same correspondence, up through people offered positions, etc.

Also many current State and Fed LEO's share information and answer questions on duty expectations, physical requirements, etc. An all around good source of info though as with any forum - the internet is not always correct. :)

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back