Score my "yard" buck

I hope somebody actually can post up the shed antler pictures of that buck. I don't think he's spindly at all. The large body of that deer might be throwing some folks.

Adult mule deer typically have 20-22" ear tip to tip spread. Smaller, younger deer will be less. Older and great big deer can be more, even over 24".

Given that buck's ear tips are likely 22" or more, take a look at the great velvet buck posted above by mtmuley. That bucks rack would easily fit right inside the top bucks with a bit of wiggle room.

He won't net score high, likely in the mid 160s, but he's still a hog of a mule deer.

I agree he is a STUD of a buck and would definitely not pass on him.
The OP is trying to get more familiar with score and mule deer. This is a tough buck to learn on also.

Mt- That's a stud of a buck also. Easily over 200 gross probably close to 210.

Last edited:
I'm guessing around 215 on this guy? Great pic by the way Mt Muley!!

I can't take credit for the pic. It was taken by a friend of mine. I have one of the buck when he was killed. Looks great without velvet too. I have a few more I 'll try to find of some equally big deer. mtmuley

Score? Who cares, it would make a beautiful mount on the wall. I'm not one who would pass on that buck because it's a 3x4 and would not score high.
Also if you're used to looking at Georgia deer I think most any descent mule deer buck would look massive.

More just for bragging rights. How fun would it be to say I've got a 180 inch yard buck that I might be able to hit with a spear? Kidding btw, this is about as far from Alabama as one can get.

Back