MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming expectations

Dewey

Well this is my first post on here. My father and I are hoping to draw a deer tag in a big region in south central wyoming. I can’t seem to find much information on the area but that’s not why I’m making a post. I have found a few areas that we are going to check out but my question is what kind of bucks can a guy expect to see? And what kind of opportunity most guys have around the south central area? We’re coming from western New York where there is practically a guy behind every tree and don’t dare leave a tree stand over night because it will be gone by morning. We have ALOT of smaller deer where we hunt and when you let one walk it gets over the hill and gets shot so I started to prefer the bow season but you have to deal with people trespassing on a regular basis. We’re going to be hunting the rifle season if we get tags. If needed send a PM.

Last edited:
Expect to see a lot of Antelope, beautiful country, and wide open spaces.

South central part of the state varies a lot as far as deer populations from area to area.

Seems weird to say but on top of the physical training I would recommend getting acquainted with the optics you plan to use for many hours. Get you eyes used to looking through them for long periods, get comfortable with the eye cups, tripods, etc you plan to use. Your ability to effectively glass will make a huge difference in your chances of success.

As far as bucks you will probably see a lot of forkies hanging out with groups of does as those bigger groups will be bigger to spot.

Make the best use of the first/last 30 minutes of shooting light. Many guys are not in position in the morning and leave early in the evening so they don't have to walk back in the dark, ultimately missing a good portion of that very crucial hour of hunting time.

I recently bought a new pair of binoculars and have been playing around with them a lot lately. The biologists I was talking to over the last few months had told me that the region get a lot of hunters being between 2 cities and it was more of a recreation hunt more than a trophy hunt. I figured it can’t be any worse than the eastern states. I remember years back when me and my dad drove tractor trailer team over the road seeing a million antelope but never really saw a ton of deer along the interstate or at least never paid enough attention to them. I appreciate the reply prairie hunter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back