Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CO: San Juan NF Closure planned starting tomorrow

Headed over to Pagosa for work tomorrow. Was gonna take the "slow" route home with my camera gear. We'll see which way I go now.

The whole state could use rain. My pastures are about toast and my upcoming hay season may not even happen.

Man thing's aren't looking good for my elk hunt this year I'm suppose to go on a scouting trip the week after the 4th of July. Most of my unit and all my spots are in the San Juan NF. I guess I'll just have to hope it's open by muzzleloader season.

How do they even remotely enforce something like that? Just close the camp grounds...

I am a little conflicted about this closure (or any similar closure). Basically, it is punishing the many because of a few. I would rather see them write a bunch of tickets and punish the bad actors (people starting campfires, throwing lit cigarettes, etc.) before closing the whole Forest. And who is going to enforce the closure anyway? It is just like banning guns in a restaurant - it guarantees that the only people with guns in the restaurant are the criminals who don't care about your ban.

On the other hand, I know the situation is extreme and the USFS managers are just doing what they think is best.

Fines are hefty and the FS is patrolling.
They have signs at forest roads and entrances.
Writing tickets does nothing to help with extreme fire danger.

How do they even remotely enforce something like that? Just close the camp grounds...
Like wytex said FS is patrolling. There were 3 FS trucks at my hotel in Pagosa last night. I have seen more FS trucks on this trip than all others combined. They also had lots of signage about calling the local sheriff about burn bans.
What's funny, I saw campgrounds open that were right along 160 just east of wolf creek. Even saw a campfire...
That area near Pagosa is a tinderbox and if they don't get moisture it's gonna be bad when the fire starts, not if.
Fines are hefty and the FS is patrolling.
They have signs at forest roads and entrances.
Writing tickets does nothing to help with extreme fire danger.
I saw several light boards on my trip yesterday and today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back