Caribou Gear

Lolo vs Pioneer vs Weiser River Elk Zone in Idaho

dmcrobb12

Hey guys and gals,

Originally I have been planning an elk hunt in the Lolo Elk zone. After talking to a quite a few people, I’m starting to get the idea that I chose the wrong zone. Ive been told I’d be very lucky to see an elk in the lolo zone. So I’ve gone back to the drawing board and like the looks of the Pioneer and Weiser River Elk zone.

I was wondering if anyone had any pros and cons of these 3 zones any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel I should just pick a zone and go with it. I just want to make sure we will be able to find elk. I’m bringing my uncle down and just want to make sure we’re into elk.

Thanks

Donnie

There are a lot of elk in both of those units. Go for it. I'll PM you a few differences but they are both at or above objective.

Weiser is over objective and has a decent amount of roads. It is a great first time elk hunting unit imo. I hunted it for years. You can find some of the elk i've shot in the live hunt portion of this forum. I believe i've harvested 5 bulls and 1 cow, out of 7 tags. My wife got 3 out of 5 with the rifle cow tag.

Pioneer is a good unit also, it is steep and deep. I suggest having access to some kind of pack animal or dirt bike. not many roads and the elk are a long way from most trails. Great scenery in this unit, with some good trout fishing in the several rivers in the area.
Good luck on the unit you choose.
Matt

Appreciate the tips guys! I think I’ve got an idea onwhere we will be hunting after talking with a few memebera and the biologists in the three zones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back