Colorado First Rifle unit 71/73/72/711. Dad's first ever elk tag

ktgonyer

Folks,

After about 45 years of waiting, my newly retired father finally has time to go elk hunting. We drew him this tag and cannot wait. I have never step foot in that area and cannot possibly do a lot of scouting. I live in AZ, he lives in MI. Any advice would be helpful. Lodging/camping areas, which of the four units to focus on (I am thinking 73), anything and everything. I also would be interested in some small game while we are there. I think grouse is open then along with few others. I'd love to know what possible small game may be there, especially grouse.

Thanks all!

Not an expert on any of these places but have been to 70, 71, and hunted part of 711 once on a state park. 711 is pretty low in elevation and a lot of thick scrub oak stuff. I did see today that they have shut down the san Juan due to drought and forest fires outside of Durango. Says it will open back up when moisture comes back. Its screwed me as well cause I drew muzzeloader unit 70.

My experience deer hunting third season in 71/711 last year would keep me clear of 711 if i was looking for elk. And deer.

I’ll echo bulldog’s comment about 711/71 after burning 8 pts on a 4th season deer tag.

Send me a pm with your questions and I’m happy to help. I have the same tag and have hunted it 2nd and 3rd seasons multiple times with success.

Folks,

After about 45 years of waiting, my newly retired father finally has time to go elk hunting. We drew him this tag and cannot wait. I have never step foot in that area and cannot possibly do a lot of scouting. I live in AZ, he lives in MI. Any advice would be helpful. Lodging/camping areas, which of the four units to focus on (I am thinking 73), anything and everything. I also would be interested in some small game while we are there. I think grouse is open then along with few others. I'd love to know what possible small game may be there, especially grouse.

Thanks all!
hey how did the elk hunt go in CO 71/73 this past fall?

Back