Yeti GOBOX Collection

Any Michigan grouse hunters.

It's good people are heading to the UP. The area needs all the help it can get anymore in the fall with the deer herd previously on the rocks.

The UP is a great place but economically depressed. Probably more meth heads now than partridge.

I was lucky enough to draw a MI elk tag last year and spent the majority of my time in the Pigeon. I still can’t believe how many grouse I saw there, and am definitely heading there this year with my Brittany, ol’ Jume Bug. Even in areas that I would generally overlook as being too mature I was flushing healthy numbers, and that’s without a dog. Figure I need to go get some payback for all of the mini heart attacks they have me for exploding from under my boots.

There is state land right where Oakland, Genesee, and Lapeer counties meet and I actually saw a grouse there just last week. Couldn’t believe it.

I was lucky enough to draw a MI elk tag last year

That is awesomely lucky. Now that I'm a NonRes, I'd have to have a great number of points just to draw a black bear tag in MI.

Even in areas that I would generally overlook as being too mature I was flushing healthy numbers,

From above books, young grouse disperse from the brood in the fall looking for their own home range. That's why you find grouse in unlikely places. If they don't happen on a good home range (10 acres for males, a little larger for females), they will probably die. This is one reason why hunting especially early in the season has practically no impact on grouse numbers...in addition to the fact that we don't actually hit any of them.

I was lucky enough to draw a MI elk tag last year and spent the majority of my time in the Pigeon. I still can’t believe how many grouse I saw there, and am definitely heading there this year with my Brittany, ol’ Jume Bug. Even in areas that I would generally overlook as being too mature I was flushing healthy numbers, and that’s without a dog. Figure I need to go get some payback for all of the mini heart attacks they have me for exploding from under my boots.

There is state land right where Oakland, Genesee, and Lapeer counties meet and I actually saw a grouse there just last week. Couldn’t believe it.

I was lucky enough to draw the Michigan elk tag this year and saw a handful of grouse in my hunting area, they seem to be fond of all that new growth aspen

I was lucky enough to draw the Michigan elk tag this year

Wow, I have a 50.year old family member that's been applying every year since his teens and still ain't drawn.

there's no shortage of aspen in the lp or up of Michigan where I hunt. The 30 year old aspen are supposed to be their primary winter food but the younger aspen provide good overhead cover from avian predators especially after the aspen reach 10 years of age. Without these two things (winter food and overhead cover), grouse don't survive which is why they are so plentiful in Michigan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back