Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Most productive time of the day for hunting water holes?

HoytHntr4

Well it finally worked out for my schedule this year so I put in for my first WY antelope tag. I have 3 points and put in for the special draw, unless something very unexpected happens with draw odds, I should draw the tag. I plan on bow hunting, and would like to get it done spot and stalk, but if that doesn't work out I have scouted out some water holes to set up on as a plan B. I was wondering what time of the day antelope usually come into water? Is it best to try to get into the blind and plan on sitting all day, or is it possible to try to get out and catch them moving around in the morning with the chance at a possible stalk and then get to the blind before the mid day heat? I'm curious what kind of game plan has worked for others?

I also have a list of things I plan on bringing along, but was also wondering if anyone had an suggestions for some "must have" things a first timer might not think to bring along on their first speed goat hunt.

Thanks in advance!

Get there before light and sit all day. If they see you going in, they will move to another water source and may not return anytime soon. It can also take them some time to get used to the blind, a luxury you may not have.

I'll have a week to hunt, sounds like it would be a good idea to get out and get a blind or two set up the first day that I'm out there

JM has it right. You might try a pit blind if the digging is easy.
Good binos and a book to read in the blind.

I've only sat water a couple days. Every day I had antelope come in mid morning, probably not enough data to back anything up though. I've just felt fortunate that they always came in early so I didn't have to spend all day in the blind.

Setting up a blind and hunting the next day may not work. If there are other water sources available the antelope will likely head elsewhere. If it's the only water for miles you may luck out. I agree with JM to get in the blind well before daylight and spend the entire day there. Pick a week with super hot, dry weather. If it rains the bucks can drink out of puddles. Be prepared for super long, hot days....bring plenty of water and possibly something to keep you entertained. Keep in mind wind direction and the route antelope will head to the waterhole before setting up your blind. Antelope often water directly across from your blind or the furthest distance from your blind. If it's a large waterhole make sure you are within bow range of the entire water. If there is a creek heading out of the waterhole antelope may water there to avoid the blind. The Wyo wind HOWLS. Be prepared with a solid blind or it may end up blown to pieces or in Nebraska.

As far as what to bring, a pack capable of packing the meat back to the truck, a gps with onx map chip is huge for me, and a fishing pole in case you tag out early. Oh also leather gloves and knee pads if you plan to do some stalking. I never use knee pads but a lot of guys do.

I am just gonna warn you, if you hunt early season in a blind and get good blind hunt weather(dry/hot) you will learn what the sweat box in those prison movies must fell like. You will be sitting in underwear still sweating praying a buck comes in before heat stroke takes effect. I like spot and stalk or trying to cut off but if you do hunt a blind prepare. Pack a small cooler, lots water, a small towel to keep on head and neck to cool you using ice water in bottom of cooler and something like a book to distract your mind from how hot it is. Prepare for winds which will also take water out of your body and most importantly have fun? Lol.

And far as what time is most productive it seems in my experiance 15 minutes after you give up and turn your head back at truck they all head to water hole...

Last edited:
I am just gonna warn you, if you hunt early season in a blind and get good blind hunt weather(dry/hot) you will learn what the sweat box in those prison movies must fell like. You will be sitting in underwear still sweating praying a buck comes in before heat stroke takes effect. I like spot and stalk or trying to cut off but if you do hunt a blind prepare. Pack a small cooler, lots water, a small towel to keep on head and neck to cool you using ice water in bottom of cooler and something like a book to distract your mind from how hot it is. Prepare for winds which will also take water out of your body and most importantly have fun? Lol.

And far as what time is most productive it seems in my experiance 15 minutes after you give up and turn your head back at truck they all head to water hole...

Great advice. If you go the blind route pack out a small cooler and a case of water to leave in the blind. Bring a bag of ice or block of ice out with you every morning throw your lunch and enough water for the day in the cooler with the ice replace the water as needed. This has worked to keep me in the game on long hot sits. As others have said a good book or if your a little younger or more tech savy some downloaded tv shows or movies on phone or tablet (you can even watch randy hunting while hunting). One last thing when trying to sit 12+ hours a solid comfortable chair is nice to have.

As for best time get in before light and sit as long as you can.

Thanks for all the tips, all of the seem to be confirming the reason I'm hoping I can seal the deal spot and stalk!! I have never really loved ground blind hunting with a bow because of the limited amount of area you can see and animals always seem to sneak up on you. But I do hunt out of one when necessary when there's not good trees for a stand and also when turkey hunting. I have a couple double bull blinds that I'll be bringing along so hopefully they'll be able to take the wind. Does anyone have any stake recommendations to keep the blind from ending up in Nebraska? I was looking at possibly ordering some 12" heavy duty tent stakes to pound in the ground to keep it in place

I have some stakes I made out of 3/16" metal rod, I bought at home Depot. I cut them 16", bent a hook at the top & used a grinder to cut barbs in the bottom. They work well but need a hammer to drive into the ground.

I got some 2ft rebar put it in a vice bent it in the shape of a "J" and there you go heavy duty stakes.

I have bow hunted them in WY right at October 1 a couple times and it is awesome for spot and stalk. That is just about the 3rd weekend of gun season in my area and NOBODY is still hunting with a gun so decoying, with lots of glassing to be sure no one is in area with gun, was safe AND effective. They were at peak rut. And no waterhole sitting, which, frankly, sucks to do anyway versus spot and stalk. And if it does not pan out with a bow, Bang/Flop/Done in a pinch.

Spot and stalk arcehry lopes is a blast, with or without decoy and surprisingly effective! Do it. Sitting in a blind in the sweltering heat is painful.

Get a Montana immature buck decoy and nock an arrow BEFORE you set it up within 200 yds of a rutting buck.

Khunter, I have some more time off at the end of Sept, so if I strike out in August with the bow I may have to give that a try! I definitely would not be against having a rifle along for a quick solution to a failed archery spot & stalk. From what I've kind of gathered, I'm guessing trying to use a decoy to get close during August might be more of a pain than a help. Has anyone had success that time of year using a black cow decoy like I remember seeing Randy use in one of his hunts?

Decoy in August? No expert but mostly I’d say wont work but I killed this Utah buck on August 20 using an immature buck decoy to pull him from his does and he came screaming in. I guess you never know but would not count on it that early.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...70475-UT-Pronghorn-KHunter-archery-2016/page2

Thanks for the link! Enjoyed both write ups and all the pictures. I'm thinking I'll take your advice and pick up an immature buck decoy. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work and I leave it in the truck. Best case scenario is a buck comes within 10 feet like you had happen, that had to be a pretty cool encounter!

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that if you're getting into your blind in the dark before sunrise, be sure you check for rattlers. Not something you want to get s surprise from.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back