Caribou Gear Tarp

Help needed US Army patch ID

prhunter

Hello all,
Just like the title says, I need some help identifying a patch worn by my grandfather while in the US Army.

My grandfather served in the army a little after the Korean war from 1955 to 1957. He belonged to the 813th Aviation Engineering battalion.

Whole looking at some photographs I recently obtained I noticed that he wore different patches on his uniform and this particular is the only one I cannot identify.

The pic is a little blurry but is the best I can do for now. Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 450
Man, that is gonna be rough.....can't get any detail. A patch should be division or above level. Can't seem to find any with that shape and type of image. Wish I could be of more help. Have you gotten his service records? That may be able to help. https://www.archives.gov/veterans

I do have a copy of his form DD214 which contains his service number and other information

Too blurry to identify and it's definitely not the battalion patch if that's what he was in.

Last edited:
I will try to get a better picture of the patch tomorrow with better light and maybe a magnifying glass.

First of all, I could not find that it is a patch from the 813th from 1955 and since it is being worn on the left shoulder it is a Unit Patch, not a combat patch. He is a Private in that picture so you should be able to go to his DD214 and look up where he was stationed while a Private and determine which Unit he was with. Then all you would have to do is Google the Military Left Shoulder Patches from (Year) and (unit). Hope this helps and good luck. BTW...if that picture is a reverse image, that could be right shoulder patch and that would make it a combat patch. Again, the DD214 should tell you where he was stationed and if in combat anywhere.

First of all, I could not find that it is a patch from the 813th from 1955 and since it is being worn on the left shoulder it is a Unit Patch, not a combat patch. He is a Private in that picture so you should be able to go to his DD214 and look up where he was stationed while a Private and determine which Unit he was with. Then all you would have to do is Google the Military Left Shoulder Patches from (Year) and (unit). Hope this helps and good luck. BTW...if that picture is a reverse image, that could be right shoulder patch and that would make it a combat patch. Again, the DD214 should tell you where he was stationed and if in combat anywhere.
Thank you for the input. I will start researching using the info on the DD214.

813th%20engr%20bn_zps5wg5vlpf.jpg

Here is some unit history.

dd2b48758f35016955bce0052ac9379a.jpg

alaska%20patch_zpszea6bprn.jpg

I believe it is this major commands, Alaska Defense Patch.

Close, Nemont. It is definitely the Polar bear patch, but by the time the OP's grandfather was there it had transitioned from the Alaska Defense Command to US Army Alaska (USARAL); which is what it was while his Grand Dad was Stationed there.

It has since changed its name again to USARAK "America's Arctic Warriors" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Alaska

To the OP: Have you found information on SCARWAF? the 813th was assigned to the Air Force for a period of time and fell under this designation which had its own shoulder patch. However, I am not sure they were still there during your Grandfather's tenure.

To the OP: Have you found information on SCARWAF? the 813th was assigned to the Air Force for a period of time and fell under this designation which had its own shoulder patch. However, I am not sure they were still there during your Grandfather's tenure.
Yes on SCARWAF. I have other pics of grandpa with SCARWAF patch on his uniform.

Further inspection of his DD214 revealed the following...

Department, Component, Branch: Army, AUS CE
Last Duty Assignment and Major Command: 813th EAB USARAL
Last Rank: SPS(T)
Served from Jan 1955 to Jan 1957

Thank you all for the assistance!

Found a picture of him wearing this khaki uniform with and eagle on the left shoulder. It appears to have been during his basic training at Fort Jackson, SC in 1955.
Any particular reason why he would have that patch on his shoulder while at basic???

Attachments

• 20180616_095821.jpg
    20180616_095821.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 87
Back