The penalty fitting this "AK Master" hunting guide's crimes.(?)

Joke of a sentence. If this had been on federal land in a refuge (aka half the hunting areas in AK) he'd be in jail for at least a year and fined would have been much, much higher.

1000 trooper hours... They easily cost us $250/hr. Plus travel time, air fare, helo time etc... the state was probably into this POS for $300k or more easily. At least he didn't get off scott free. Which has been occurring quite regularly in AK recently.

Last edited:
I would imagine that his license is fully revocated under the violators compact plus I would think the AFG would boot him from being a guide in Alaska. Which means he loses his business and he will have to find another job. Keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe the report missed part of the sentencing. If he was fully revocated and still has his guiding license, thats pretty sad

I would imagine that his license is fully revocated under the violators compact plus I would think the AFG would boot him from being a guide in Alaska. Which means he loses his business and he will have to find another job. Keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe the report missed part of the sentencing. If he was fully revocated and still has his guiding license, thats pretty sad

ADF&G does not regulate guide licensing, they are biologists. Guides are regulated by the Big Game Commercial Service Board... which is an utter joke.

His license is still active and has not been revoked, yet. I think you may have to kill someone to get it revoked, and they may have to be a board member.

They would not suspend his licesne during the trial, and were withholding judgement until sentencing, from what I followed. I'm wondering if part of the sentencing included keeping his license so he could pay his fine?

From what I hear he's very much still active and involved with the same operation...

Direct from the licensing board look-up page

LICENSE DETAILS
Owners
Owner Name Entity Number
TOM SHANKSTER

License #: GUIM148 Program: Big Game Guides and Transporters Type: Master Guide-Outfitter Status: Active
Issue Date: 02/12/2004 Effective Date: 01/09/2018 Expiration Date: 12/31/2019 Mailing Address: AURORA, CO, UNITED STATES Public Note: CERTIFIED UNIT(S): 6,16,19,22

AK should be ashamed to allow this person to interact for pay with hunters ever again much less was never stopped even for a minute. There are jobs you can't ever legally do once have certain convictions. Shoplifted a 6-pack? You can't be bonded so no accounting or banking jobs. Took a whiz on side of the blacktop road at 3am? Register with state and never work around kids. DUI? Lots of jobs can't do. Why, oh why, are crimes against animals by a person in a leadership role for hunters seen as a fix-it ticket? The pattern was established. This was not a case where someone shot across a canyon and an old logging road was below or they wore an orange vest but the backpack covered too many of the square inches of the vest, etc. This was calculated breaking of the law by someone whose job is to know the law about hunting and post-harvest requirements. Very sad. Will organizations not even lift a finger to ostracize this person or do they purge members that behave in way that contradict the organization's credo? Do organizations prevent people like this from having booths at shows where hunters contract for hunts? Allow them to advertise in organization marketing materials and listings?

Back