PEAX Equipment

Idaho app question

805Bowhunter

I’ve hunted Idaho elk OTC one time and thought that I was familiar with the draw process for the limited entry units. However I was shooting my bow at my local shop and a guy who hunts Idaho every year says he does the “December” draw for elk and is successful every year. He was really nebulous as to if this tag was otc or draw and I couldn’t really understand his explanation. Then I remember coming across a thread somewhere that talked about something similar. Can anyone explain this to me or point me to a link that explains this? Thanks in advance.

There are hunts that are draw hunts where the number of tags exceed the number of applicants. If that's the case that guy could very well hunt a draw tag every year.

Really though, there's no reason why anyone can't hunt elk in Idaho every year. Especially if you're willing to do it in December.

There are hunts that are draw hunts where the number of tags exceed the number of applicants. If that's the case that guy could very well hunt a draw tag every year.

Really though, there's no reason why anyone can't hunt elk in Idaho every year. Especially if you're willing to do it in December.

Thanks for the reply but a point of clarification on my part is that he said he was applying for a limited entry draw unit for archery in September. He was saying that he applied for this tag in December of the previous year. So he’s not hunting in December but rather applying at that time for an archery tag the following year. Any thoughts?

Maybe thats when he is buying his non resident license and tag for the next falls season? Thats the only thing I can think of as the majority of non resident OTC tags go on sale Dec 1.

Maybe thats when he is buying his non resident license and tag for the next falls season? Thats the only thing I can think of as the majority of non resident OTC tags go on sale Dec 1.

This makes total sense now because he was saying that if you dont get on the unit he applies for early on, it will sell out (because many OTC units have a quota correct?) as was the case for him this year. He said the unit he applies for was sold out by February. So another question I have then is, if you buy an OTC tag (non res) in December, what happens/how do you apply for a Limited Entry tag and are successful? Can you trade your OTC tag in or...?

Thanks for your help with this.

Last edited:
If you buy an OTC tag early you can still apply in the controlled draw. If you draw the controlled draw you just exchange your OTC tag for the controlled.

Yup, that's what he's doing. Some hunters have a little spot that they have learned to hunt and be very successful. However, they still try to draw for a controlled hunt where the hunter success percentage is very high, or there is a chance of taking a trophy.

Back