PEAX Equipment

Vanish and FireTiger's 2018 Hunt Journal - Season 8

Looks like I am going to be alone this weekend as my "apprentice" deer hunter bailed on me last night. FireTiger is leaving in the morning to help a friend try to take his first elk. He has a cow elk tag in unit 201 that he got on reissue. FireTiger has a unit 201 cow tag, but for 3rd season. She may choose not to even do that hunt, but she wanted to experience unit 201 regardless, so this is a good opportunity.

I'll be heading to Eastern Colorado with an E/S Whitetail season's choice tag. Its the opener for the rifle season. I am debating whether to take the bow, rifle or both. Have to wear orange regardless. I probably would have scheduled something else for this weekend and gone later with my bow, but I thought it would be a good place to take the noobie. Oh well. I'm also in charge of Hank, as I was expecting to be with my friend in a blind and having Hank along is no big deal in that circumstance. With our 7 day Nebraska archery deer hunt starting on Halloween, and FireTiger still hoping to pick up a 4th rifle bull elk tag, I'm not sure when I'd get back to this spot. Oh, too many hunts, what a terrible predicament. #firstworldproblems

Saturday is going to be a high in the 70s. Sunday is going to be a high in the 60s. Lows in the 30s. Looking like 5-15mph W wind. Temps aren't exactly great deer rutting weather, but that's perfect wind for my favorite blind.

I feel like this is a perfect opportunity to use my bow during rifle season, but there's this stupid mental hurdle of "why handicap myself?"

I have taken bow (deer or turkey) and shotgun (turkey) together on day trips to use one or the other as indicated. Good shoulder slings help!

I have signal here at camp! Won't mean much though because i wont have signal in the woods.

Im packing both the bow and the 7mag. Where im going to set up is good for the bow, but if the situation is right, or more like wrong, ill pick up the gun. My day pack is silly heavy but ill be out there all day. Too much driving to not hunt the whole day. Besides, i shot my buck between 12 and 1 last year, and had another big boy bust me just before that.

Hank is bored already.

Lots and lots of turkeys. Passed a young 8pt around 830. Turns out theyre doing some construction on the property and there was lots of big equipment operating only 600 yards from me. Id like to blame that for lack of deer, but i jumped a good buck only 200 yards from them. That was it for deer the whole day. I hope they're not working Sunday.

Seriously, must have seen 500 turkeys.

Well, that was a tough trip. Gotta happen sometimes I guess! At least I got to enjoy the serenade of a thousand turkeys. I'm still hearing them in my head.

The wind stayed "southerly" and I say that because It seemed to be alternating between SE and SW. This made it very tough to set up due to the nature of the property and the expected direction of travel.

The pipeline work continued from 8-5 again. They really want to "git r done." Hopefully, they'll be past the property by the time I get back there. It was a bit unsatisfying to hear the "beep beep beep" and grinding tracks all day when I'm trying to commune with nature. Combined with the turkeys made a true cacaphony for much of the day!

The deer hardly moved. I had a group of 7 mule deer follow my script at 7am on Sunday, and that was it for the day. The mid 70s temps probably didn't help.

Now, there are some positives. I saw a different, good whitetail buck while driving out each night. The one last night was huge. I couldn't count points in the darkness, but he was wide and tall. Of course, he was 1/4 mile on to private and headed towards the private ag fields, but come the rut, I'll be waiting for him. It was also a beautiful day in the woods.

Meanwhile, roughly 500 miles west, FireTiger was out helping a friend look for his first elk. The trip sounded like a bit of a rollercoaster. Highlights include excitedly stalking in on a group of 14 bulls, a two mile stalk on a herd of cows that included one very elky looking rock ( which was all that was left by the time he got there ), getting beaten to private land by a large herd and a 13th hour successful stalk after the decision to pack it in had already been made. FireTiger spotted a small group while they were driving back to pack up camp and our friend was able to slip in to 70 yards after a LONG loop around to get the wind in his favor.

I wish FireTiger had asked me for the PhoneSkope as she free handed these. :D

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Half of the herd he was able to take his cow from.

uc

I'll post a success pic if I receive one.

Just some food for thought..the buck my wife shot Saturday was primed for the rut his neck was thick and he had a serious primal musk lol. When we left the truck Saturday it was 77 so I was really surprised to see him be up so early... congrats on all the success

Did you pack along some treats or a bone to keep him busy?:cool:

I did but his teeth are made of diamonds or something. They kept him occupied for about 7 seconds. The porcupine above us kept him distracted for awhile Sunday morning, and the turkeys kept his attention much of the evening.

Just some food for thought..the buck my wife shot Saturday was primed for the rut his neck was thick and he had a serious primal musk lol. When we left the truck Saturday it was 77 so I was really surprised to see him be up so early... congrats on all the success

I saw that post; brute of a buck! I'd love to find one like that.

------------------------------------

uc

We're in Nebraska as of last light. My count is 9 bucks and ~45 does. No time for the internet. ��

Ill do a proper entry when im home. I tagged out at 2:45pm yesterday. Shot at about 15 feet while still hunting.

Throw up that pic if you get a chance Dan.

Wednesday afternoon we arrived to find traditional camping location had been blocked off. This was fine by us, as we often hunt not too far from camp and then was nothing more annoying then having someone drive past the end of the road and right into us.

I quickly set camp while Dad and Forrest did some scouting. They were having a hard time not jumping deer. We confirmed the water level which can dictate where the deer will travel. Dad decided to put up a stand in one of his usual spots as there were several scrapes and well defined trails there.

Since they were both going to the lake edge, I decided to hunt/scout a winter wheat field i had seen on the way in. I found a well used trail where they were obviously crossibg the fence and backed off 20 yards. Before i could even get situated, i saw 3 does drop over a ridge headed straight toward me. I carved out a circle in the CRP and got comfortable.

20181031_181201.jpg

It didn't take long and those 3 does showed up right in position. A few more followed later, and then i had a tough decision. A small 4x4 was the next in line. He stopped to survey the field and gave me a perfect 22 yard broadside shot. Being as it was the first evening and I was looking for something more like what i shot last year, i let gim continue.

After he jumped the fence, he ran over to the other deer and spooked the fawns directly over to me. This made the last 30 minutes very difficult as the fed within 10 yards, often facing directly at me.

I ended the evening with over 30 does and two more bucks, including a nice 5x5 that took a different path to the field. Dad passed on a 3x3. Heck of a start!

Back