Vanish and FireTiger's 2018 Hunt Journal - Season 8

Good news: Shop says everything looks great on the truck. They think any sound was just debris that may have gotten into the brakes and should go away after they put it back together.

Bad news: They doubt they can get the rim in before the weekend.

More bad news: Also, I took Friday off, and about 2 hours later something came up, and while I will still have the day off, I can't go deer hunting on Friday.

Ranting: Trying to justify a one day banzai trip for the opener of late rifle on Saturday. I feel pretty good about being able to find a good buck in one day there, but its like a 3.5 hour drive one way. That's like a 2:30am wakeup. Gross. Also, who's idea was it for me to work on Sunday?!

I feel like I am being pushed to eat this tag!

Last edited:
Ranting: Trying to justify a one day banzai trip for the opener of late rifle on Saturday. I feel pretty good about being able to find a good buck in one day there, but its like a 3.5 hour drive one way. That's like a 2:30am wakeup. Gross. Also, who's idea was it for me to work on Sunday?!

I feel like I am being pushed to eat this tag!

Been here before... but successful Banzai hunts are very satisfying + you will kick yourself for not doing it + you can sleep when your dead

Good luck out there!

Ran into Zach Ferenbaugh of The Hunting Public at a BHA Pint Night last night. Super nice dude. Wish I could have talked with him more but I had some public lands to preach! I'll admit I geeked out a bit as I've watched way too many of their videos on YouTube. Check them out if you haven't heard of them. Zach is into whitetail hunting on the ground on public land, and the videos are top notch ( though I skip the post-mortem scenes sometimes :D ).

Two things...is this a season choice tag? And 2 we drove 3.5 hours to hunt 1 evening...so you're saying there's a chnace

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1478446593040.jpg
    FB_IMG_1478446593040.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 235
Welp, here I sit in DIA, dreaming of what I could be doing. Just couldn't make the deer trip happen, too many household duties. I did take Hank out with a friend and his dog to chase some cottontails on Saturday afternoon. We didn't bring any home.

Some very suspicious behavior of some folks at the parking lot on our way out. What could one possibly be legally about to do at dark, wearing chest waders and carrying a rifle?

Welp, the year has come to a close. Sorry about ghosting on you, but life stepped up and I was never able to get out again. I havent even been on forums in about a month.

A friend has invited us to hunt hogs on his place in Texas in February, so look for the 2019 journal starting early next year!

Any small game hunts planned? It was fun following along in '18, thanks for the write-ups!

Any small game hunts planned? It was fun following along in '18, thanks for the write-ups!

Thanks for following!

Small game for me is pretty much a last minute decision. I just don't find it all that good here to get excited about it. I have more confidence in going out and finding a deer than I do a grouse or pheasant.

Agreed, I sure miss the squirrel and rabbit hunting five minutes from the house in WI, but I'll trade the Western big game opportunities here any day. Hard to get motivated for a 2 hour drive to maybe shoot a squirrel or rabbit on public ground in CO.

Bonus Hunt. :)

A friend of ours friend invited us down to his lease in Texas for a few days to help with their hog problem.

A very different kind of hunting for us, but still a ton of fun. So much MUD!

Hunting in the dark really kicks your senses up a notch. Would do again!

uc

uc

180 lbs
uc

124 lbs
uc

155 lbs
uc

Those are some awesome hogs! I hear they are good eating but I have never tried to go down south and hunt them to try. Keep piling them up, I hear it's an endless supply.

Corned wild hog, very tasty!

Attachments

• 20190222_184210.jpg
    20190222_184210.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 3
Well, I wanted to create a poll to help determine if I want to do my hunt journals in 2019, but I don't think it is possible to create one inside of a post already in progress.

That being said, I can still do it the old fashioned way, reply to this post if you'd like to see 2019.

Well, I wanted to create a poll to help determine if I want to do my hunt journals in 2019, but I don't think it is possible to create one inside of a post already in progress.

That being said, I can still do it the old fashioned way, reply to this post if you'd like to see 2019.
I don't care if you do it in a single thread, but by all means keep posting your adventures. I enjoy reading along with everybody's seasons, and you guys always have interesting stuff going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back