Recovering in the State of Jefferson

huntingheritage

State of Jefferson - aka Northern California
The State of Jefferson, aka Northern California here. I am an avid hunter and conservationist, serving on several big game banquet committees and such.

I have spent the last 2 months recovering from a condition called Guillain-Barré Syndrome. For any of the non-doctor types out there, this is a condition that hits you out of nowhere and wipes out the protective coating on your nerves and in my case basically shut down my systems one at a time (vision, speech, swallowing, strength, etc. They caught it just before shutting down my breathing, and I am expected to make a full recovery. May take anywhere from 3 to 12 months. Still could not help myself and put in on all of my draws throughout the west as usual (12 years into the point game in most western states), but luckily have not drawn anything yet.

As I started my recovery, I was turned on to Randy Newberg's unfiltered podcasts and am working my way through them. Bored as all get out, I have also burned through every episode of OYOA, Fresh Tracks, Solo Hunter and Meat Eater that I could find on Amazon and Netflix. I have also been bouncing around on the Hunt Talk forums trying to fill my days up so I thought I would introduce myself.

Looking forward to when I can get out in the woods again and continue to enjoy what I am all about, the great outdoors and our hunting heritage!

Kevin

Welcome, Kevin. I got your message. Sorry for my delay in a response. I hope you make a full recovery and you are out hunting again soon.

Welcome, when I saw the title I thought you meant Thomas Jefferson, lol.

Hope the recovery is sooner than later. Keep us updated for sure. A good book to read is "tigers of kumaon". Its about maneating tigers in india. It may take you to far away placs while you're stuck inside.

Thank you Randy. I expect to make a full recovery this year. While laid up, and at 51 years old, I am preparing to do my first backpack hunt this fall into the Trinity Wilderness Area here in Northern California for the rifle blacktail deer season. Your shows have been a big inspiration to me. Lots of gear to get, and trail systems to learn. I like your quote, I have spent the last 12 or so years building points throughout the west, and working my tail off. My joints have me feeling my age, but will not let that stop me. Ibuprofen is my friend!
Kevin

Welcome! Know what it's like to be laid up, when you get going the fresh air will do you good.

Welcome man. I'm glad they figured it out and that you're recovering! It's not a diagnosis most docs run across very often. My dad had Guillain-Barré Syndrome about 10 years ago. Very strange and very scary. He made a full recovery--eventually. Was in the hospital undergoing plasmapheresis and PT for a few months. Back to normal after about a year. He'll be elk hunting with me this fall. Be patient, take the PT seriously, and you'll be back out there soon. Welcome to the forum!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back