MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Focal Plane vs Second Focal Plane

Ryan2782

What's your preference on FFP or SFP and why? I do have a ranger finder for distances.

Anything over 14-15x I prefer FFP. Under that I don’t really prefer one over the other on a hunting rifle

FFP only really matters if you are going to be using your reticle for a measuring device (ranging, trajectory/wind holdoff, calling artillery/close air support), and want it to maintain its accuracy at all power settings.

FFP only really matters if you are going to be using your reticle for a measuring device (ranging, trajectory/wind holdoff, calling artillery/close air support), and want it to maintain its accuracy at all power settings.

This...if you're spinning dials on a scope and have a rangefinder and a drop chart it really doesn't make much difference. Personally a SFP suits me just fine and I regularly shoot to 1K with my 6.5 Hipster (aka creedmoor). I'm not sure if PRS shooters are allowed to use rangefinders but I can definitely see the benefit of FFP when having to make quick distance calls in a short amount of time.

To me there is also no difference between MRAD and MOA if you're following the same principle.

Last edited:
It's not a huge deal as long as you know what you have and what it does. I preffer FFP because while I dial distance most of the time, I hold for wind using the reticle any time I'm adjusting for it. I rarely take shots on big game with a significant wind call, but it has happened; more often during practice of course.

Thanks for the info everyone. This would be for big game. My scope last year took a hard hit on a slip I had and no longer holds true. Luckily it happened during the pack out and not before the shot.

I prefer FFP. I like to be able to hold for wind (and occasionally for distance) and not have to worry about what power my scope is set at.

I prefer FFP for the reasons mentioned above, with the caveat that great glass/reticle is necessary when going that route. If the reticle is poor it can get lost and/or blurry at extreme magnifications. I think NF does an amazing job with this.

I prefer FFP but FFP scopes with good glass come at a price. Unless you're planning to shoot a LOOONG ways you don't really need FFP especially if you already use a rangefinder and dope chart. If you are dialing your turrets to account for drop I think you should consider a scope with a reticle that gives you references for a wind hold since that will be the harder to judge. In either case, and I can't stress this enough, MAKE SURE THE TURRET AND RETICLE UNITS MATCH. It's utterly pointless to have a MIL based reticle with MOA turret or vice versa, the math conversion is a pain and easily avoidable. Develop a system and keep it streamlined and simple: range, dial, hold for wind, and send it.

Back