Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Truck, or SUV (to me anyhow) ?

Gunner46

Well, it was inevitable, the '94 Ranger has rusted out so much from the winter salt on these roads that I just can't/won't drop any more money in trying to keep her going. The old girl has served me well, but it's time.......

I refuse to buy new. In the long run it's wasted money.

So? Keeping it under $10K & 100K miles what would be you look for?

My first question would be what to you need to use it for? Just a hunting rig? Daily driver? Chore wagon? From there, what size range are you looking for? Is there anything you DON'T want? Do you want something with lot of aftermarket stuff available? I just went through this to a certain degree. I went from a big truck to a YJ and now am back to a truck (Doug). The jeep was fun to drive off road and would go anywhere but I just couldn't fit all of my stuff for elk camp or be used for stuff around the house (firewood, landscaping etc). I took a couple of months to find what I was looking for.

Well, it was inevitable, the '94 Ranger has rusted out so much from the winter salt on these roads that I just can't/won't drop any more money in trying to keep her going. The old girl has served me well, but it's time.......

I refuse to buy new. In the long run it's wasted money.

So? Keeping it under $10K & 100K miles what would be you look for?

I think a Jeep Renegade may be an option worth looking into.

It can come with low geared 4x4 and will get great gas mileage.

I think it may be a little out of the price range, but may be worth spending a few extra bucks on.

If you were driving a Ranger, a used Tacoma would probably be a great replacement. Look for one in western states though, there's more of them there and less road salt exposure than the midwest...

I see lots of 4x4's with 100K for $10000 or less, but they've usually got some age on them. I like a truck best, but SUVs seem to be a lot more affordable used.

I have a 1999 Cherokee XJ that I like a lot. I've done quite a bit of modification to it, it's very simple and easy to work on, and the 4.0 engine has a great reputation for reliability/longevity. You can still find a few from late 90's-01 in stock form with 100k or less, usually for a lot less than your budget requires.

I've also had an Escape that I took out west a couple of times. Ground clearance wasn't as good, but got good MPGs. Most AWD small SUVs and crossovers would work for the type of hunting I most often do.

My wife's vehicle is a 2013 Durango. It's an AWD v-6, gets mid-20 MPGs and has lots of room. It's got around 130k on it now and I think blue-book private party value is around $12000.

Look for a good used Dakota truck if you can find it.
They appear to have full sized axles and alot of small V-8 engines. ( I passed on the best deal ever because my F-150 was not dead just yet....mistake)

Otherwise.........I personally now hunt with kids 2001 Grand Cherokee.
Back seats folded down for all the gear you could ever need and a hitch hauler in the 2" receiver to haul your deer home.

Picked up an 08 Nissan Titan Pro4x not too long ago for $7750 right at 100xxx. So far it has been a great buy at that price.

So far my e-Net search has found a 2000 S-10 with a CarFax verified mileage at 28K, for $6100. Body looks clean and rust free around the wells. I'm indecisive because it's rear wheel drive and I know it's going to try to fishtail like a b!tch climbing a steep grade in a snow storm. (I do it regularly during the winter).

I can get a 3yr Sign & Drive on a Jeep Compass for $200 a month, but I know nothing of them and I've never leased.

Thoughts?

Leases usually have a pretty low mileage count (10-12k) and if you were to take it hunting or off road you would have to be careful about any damage. Also, you should check out reviews and drive it. I have not driven one but what I have heard wasn't great.

Subaru crosstrek. Should have good lease options on the 2018s this time of year. I love mine and what it’s done in snow on stock tires is quite remarkable.

I was looking for a back up Tacoma & was offered more for mine than I paid...lol
Wound up finding a F150 Offroad Lariat w/36k for $11k.That was a couple yrs ago.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back