Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition (arrows)

Undoubtedly due to clean living, and a virtuous lifestyle it would appear I am to be blessed with a horny bullwinkle tag. One must hope after the tumultuous chaos that it is not rescinded in a fit of bureaucratic upyours cruelty...
    This was, of course no doubt also effected by the numerous squirrel love vibes from this group of non antagonistic well wishing nimrods on this site, for this I shall be , if not eternally, then at least temporarily grateful.

It is now to be squeezed in to a rather full plate of fall excursions, but it will trump anything else, even if the price of admission favors some other.

Last weekend will set the trend of covering some primo drainages all summer to try and find the appropriate sacrificial lamb of adequate size and a lack of wariness in his cranium.

Like perhaps...
    Name:  333.JPG
Views: 1298
Size:  325.7 KB

or just maybe,
    Name:  382.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  75.8 KB

Or maybe this fine fellow
    Bestowing wisdom and moral purity, even on the unworthy and unwilling... especially upon them.

An ignore list??? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?

2. Default

Didn't let me put this pic in from last weekend...

DSC07105 by squirrel2012, on Flickr
    Bestowing wisdom and moral purity, even on the unworthy and unwilling... especially upon them.

Good lord you have the tag gods on your sides congrats and good luck this season!
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

Blog Entries

tag where?
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Congratulations - wish you the best of luck finding the biggest swamp donkey! You may want to butter up to a few strong backs before the hunt so you'll have some help to get the thing out of the woods.

Undoubtedly due to clean living, and a virtuous lifestyle it would appear I am to be blessed with a horny bullwinkle tag. One must hope after the tumultuous chaos that it is not rescinded in a fit of bureaucratic upyours cruelty...
    This was, of course no doubt also effected by the numerous squirrel love vibes from this group of non antagonistic well wishing nimrods on this site, for this I shall be , if not eternally, then at least temporarily grateful.
    ..you're actually PJ O'Rourke, aren't you....congrats on the tag.

Congrats!

Looking forward to the full report!

Congratulations!

9. Default

A couple of trips into the high country have produced zero bullwinkle sightings though numerous bulls and bucks. Very hot conditions and dry as a popcorn fart might be keeping them in the cool shade. It certainly has the elk/deer running for cover soon as the sun's rays hit the tundra. Best group so far was about 25 bulls and twenty scattered bucks in one basin.

Name:  IMG_0422.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0428.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3709.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  103.0 KB

10. Default

Where did the summer go? With the monsoons finally hitting and a chill in the air the mooses are getting easier to see in daylight hours. Some good times jeeping into the high basins turned up 3 cow/calf pairs this past weekend. I don't think my golden will be by my side as she is mighty scared of mama moosie at under 50 yards and barks at 'em, prompting the moose to bark back, interesting to watch but not conducive to a close archery encounter.

Lots of deer, lots of elk, still silent, beautiful scenery right up at the edge of sheep country, lots of moose eggs and willow clippings, there has gotta be some bulls around somewhere making all those calves.

Name:  IMG_3749.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3755.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3762.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3765.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  83.4 KB

Some beautiful country!

Looking forward to following along on this one.

Good luck!

Subscribed...

Best of luck to you sir!

14. Default

congrats cant wait to follow

Looking forward to the next update!!

16. Default

Along for the ride! Good luck out there bud!

17. Default

Getting down to the short rows now...
    Found (was handed) a huge one and one day later got his obituary pic, damn what a bull!
    Mostly girls but some small ones are out and about, the kind that you hope you don't see at 30 yards broadside for fear you will weaken.

Like this guy this morning at 30 yards

Name:  DSC07123.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  DSC07117.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  DSC07125.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  33.1 KB

18. Default

Scouting was just wonderful as I was burned out of Wy elk. Dry as a popcorn fart but it was a gorgeous leaf year. I zeroed in on remote wilderness basins eliminating some because of lack of sign. Others I wanted to return to based on huge tracks made nocturnally in the rare muddy patches.

Name:  DSC07158.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  DSC07160.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3791.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  101.4 KB

I was all set to go and pick up a trailer full of new llamas the week before the season opened when the girl postponed by a week as she had trouble getting them all corralled. This minor news turned out to be very important, unfortunately.

Cashew was the best moose scouting buddy ever.

Name:  IMG_3839.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  67.5 KB

On one hike I got to miss a big cinnamon bear 3 times with my 45-70, I got all rattled when Cashew growled at him and made him stand up, yanked on the trigger like a rookie and missed him running just for good measure. Cashew only likes her bears when they are stuffed and in her toy pile.

Name:  IMG_3861.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  80.4 KB

She was very good at finding brookies in their spawning colors. Some of the streams with no trails even close had some nudging the 16" mark stacked up in the holes, all the riffles had spawners going nuts.

Name:  IMG_3867.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  69.4 KB

Thumbs up, looks like great country
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Very beautiful country. Looking forward to the conclusion!

21. Default

Found this guy who had obviously lost a major tussle.

Name:  DSC07142.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  DSC07144.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  70.7 KB

Opening day arrived and I saw two bulls, one off limits and one too late to do much but watch and set up day two... day two he was still there and I just couldn't shoot at 40 yards so early on such a broken up monster, he had a 6x6 chunk of missing palm and a broken off 16+ inch second tine but small palms, huge bull though.

Name:  IMG_3880.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  176.0 KB

Day 3 and I had to take off mid-day to pick up my 7 new llamas and get them home, it was my plan to get them settled in and grab 6-8 good ones and head to the back country for a week or more of trying for some of the wilderness bulls that had never been hunted, or at least never taken, according to kill reports. My plans went awry when while haltering one of the new boys he blew out my knee while I was not watching closely. I couldn't even get in the truck let alone take llamas 5-10 miles in the wilderness.

Day 4 spent on ice, day 5 road hunting on crutches. Have you ever tried to cross a beaver dam on crutches?? day 6 I could at least road hunt out of the jeep as i could work the clutch.

Some cool old cabins i visited to escape storms or just hang out and call from.

Name:  IMG_3887.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3888.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  196.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3893.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3895.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  63.2 KB

Every day my knee got better but time was ticking away on my Once in a lifetime tag, those huge wilderness tracks were calling but it would have been foolish as i had issues just exiting my jeep in anything resembling a hurry, let alone handling a string and butchering a moose. It was day seven when i ditched the crutches and realized the bow was just not gonna cut it for a one-legged road hunter... I put it away and took the rifle, the indians had lost once again...

Name:  IMG_3883.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  139.1 KB

Dang... man that's a tough go. Hope it heals up good.
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Subscribed

24. Default

Winter hit and the moose were really on the move in daylight. I took the Princess aka moose magnet and we saw three bulls in one day. She spotted a cow and shaker bull and while glassing them a Co monster stood up out of the willows at about 150 yards. She started yelling at me to shoot him as he scent checked the cow and intimidated the shaker, then i pointed to the sign about 200 yards behind us and i told her that the sign marked our unit boundary, he had to go up but instead they moved horizontal and we never saw him again.

I was in bulls daily from then on and was amazed at how high they went to rut with their girls, right up to the edge of goat country in 18-20" of snow. I was able to hobble with two sticks up to 9 miles in a day if I could keep solid footing, un-even ground just about killed me.

Day 12 pm I saw a bull come out outside of my unit and called to him but he would just listen and then go back to clipping willows. I snuck back after dark and called some more from just uphill from him and hoped it was sexy enough to make him cross the divide. Long drive, short night, long drive, but when dawn broke there were big tracks coming up and over the divide into my unit!

As I was trying to untangle fresh from old and bull from cow i looked up and there he was fifty yards away watching me, with one day left in the season it was an easy decision. They are magnificent animals but I wish they were smarter.

Name:  IMG_3936.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  DSC07175.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3907.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3917.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3927.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  72.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by squirrel; 10-18-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: double pic

That is awesome. Thanks for posting and taking us along.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast