Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition (arrows)

squirrel

Undoubtedly due to clean living, and a virtuous lifestyle it would appear I am to be blessed with a horny bullwinkle tag. One must hope after the tumultuous chaos that it is not rescinded in a fit of bureaucratic upyours cruelty...
This was, of course no doubt also effected by the numerous squirrel love vibes from this group of non antagonistic well wishing nimrods on this site, for this I shall be , if not eternally, then at least temporarily grateful.

It is now to be squeezed in to a rather full plate of fall excursions, but it will trump anything else, even if the price of admission favors some other.

Last weekend will set the trend of covering some primo drainages all summer to try and find the appropriate sacrificial lamb of adequate size and a lack of wariness in his cranium.

Like perhaps...
333.JPG

or just maybe,
382.jpg

Or maybe this fine fellow

Good lord you have the tag gods on your sides congrats and good luck this season!

Congratulations - wish you the best of luck finding the biggest swamp donkey! You may want to butter up to a few strong backs before the hunt so you'll have some help to get the thing out of the woods.

Undoubtedly due to clean living, and a virtuous lifestyle it would appear I am to be blessed with a horny bullwinkle tag. One must hope after the tumultuous chaos that it is not rescinded in a fit of bureaucratic upyours cruelty...
This was, of course no doubt also effected by the numerous squirrel love vibes from this group of non antagonistic well wishing nimrods on this site, for this I shall be , if not eternally, then at least temporarily grateful.

..you're actually PJ O'Rourke, aren't you....congrats on the tag.

A couple of trips into the high country have produced zero bullwinkle sightings though numerous bulls and bucks. Very hot conditions and dry as a popcorn fart might be keeping them in the cool shade. It certainly has the elk/deer running for cover soon as the sun's rays hit the tundra. Best group so far was about 25 bulls and twenty scattered bucks in one basin.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

Where did the summer go? With the monsoons finally hitting and a chill in the air the mooses are getting easier to see in daylight hours. Some good times jeeping into the high basins turned up 3 cow/calf pairs this past weekend. I don't think my golden will be by my side as she is mighty scared of mama moosie at under 50 yards and barks at 'em, prompting the moose to bark back, interesting to watch but not conducive to a close archery encounter.

Lots of deer, lots of elk, still silent, beautiful scenery right up at the edge of sheep country, lots of moose eggs and willow clippings, there has gotta be some bulls around somewhere making all those calves.

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

Getting down to the short rows now...
Found (was handed) a huge one and one day later got his obituary pic, damn what a bull!
Mostly girls but some small ones are out and about, the kind that you hope you don't see at 30 yards broadside for fear you will weaken.

Like this guy this morning at 30 yards

DSC07123.jpg

DSC07117.jpg

DSC07125.jpg

Scouting was just wonderful as I was burned out of Wy elk. Dry as a popcorn fart but it was a gorgeous leaf year. I zeroed in on remote wilderness basins eliminating some because of lack of sign. Others I wanted to return to based on huge tracks made nocturnally in the rare muddy patches.

DSC07158.jpg

DSC07160.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

I was all set to go and pick up a trailer full of new llamas the week before the season opened when the girl postponed by a week as she had trouble getting them all corralled. This minor news turned out to be very important, unfortunately.

Cashew was the best moose scouting buddy ever.

IMG_3839.jpg

On one hike I got to miss a big cinnamon bear 3 times with my 45-70, I got all rattled when Cashew growled at him and made him stand up, yanked on the trigger like a rookie and missed him running just for good measure. Cashew only likes her bears when they are stuffed and in her toy pile.

IMG_3861.jpg

She was very good at finding brookies in their spawning colors. Some of the streams with no trails even close had some nudging the 16" mark stacked up in the holes, all the riffles had spawners going nuts.

IMG_3867.jpg

Very beautiful country. Looking forward to the conclusion!

Back