Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Public Comment on ID rule allowing parents/grandparents to give OIL tags to youth

kimbersig

I'm sure this will cause some debate and contention but hell it will help pass the time till the draw results come out! Idaho is asking for public comments on many issues. One being the rule that allows parents/grandparents to give an OIL tag to their kid/grandkid. I am personally against this rule for the most part after i was in line watching an 80 year old woman applying for a sheep tag! in my opinion this reduces draw odds for most of us and gives some kids/grandkids essentially double or more the draw odds of drawing a trophy tag. whether you agree or not you should go put your public comments in and weigh in. here are my public comments so feel free to copy and paste and use them if you agree.

"Trophy species should not be used to encourage kids to hunt. I fully support deer/elk/antelope tags being given and would be ok with antlerless moose being allowed. A suitable compromise would be to add a rule, that if broken would be a felony(poaching OIL species is a felony in ID), that requires that whoever drew the tag and gives it to the child/grandchild MUST accompany the child/grandchild to the field and be within 500 yards(or any reasonable #) of the child/grandchild. This rule would ensure 80 year women not capable of hunting many of the OIL species aren't applying with the only purpose of giving a child/grandchild essentially double the odds."

I have no problem with a guy drawing a tag and deciding he'd rather give the tag to his children/grandchildren. I do have a problem with a guy using his parents/grandparents to get a extra chance in the draw. People will always abuse the system.

I have no problem with a guy drawing a tag and deciding he'd rather give the tag to his children/grandchildren. I do have a problem with a guy using his parents/grandparents to get a extra chance in the draw. People will always abuse the system.

Agreed. if it counted against both the child/grandparent i'd be ok with it but it doesn't. i think trying to reduce the abuse is the key. either make it count against both or make the person that drew accompany the child so 90 year old granny isn't applying but if mom and dad are applying and want to give the kid a tag then cool. a fun family experience.

I started telling my 8 year old daughter the story of her grandpa’s Idaho moose hunt when she was still in the crib. Even though she knows it word for word, she still asks me to tell it to her. She does like the slightly altered version where she also has a tag and gets the biggest bull. So, she wants to go on a moose hunt. Consequently, I am for allowing a parent or grandparent give his/her tag to a child or grandchild. I would support a requirement that the person transferring the tag has to accompany the child in the field.

I would also support a provision that allowed a child to give a tag to a parent over a certain age - say, 65. I added my dad as my sub-permittee in New Hampshire and let him shoot a bull at age 71. Even though the odds of me ever drawing that tag again are slim, I will never regret letting him be the shooter. It was nearly as exciting for me as my daughter’s first deer.

I'm sure this will cause some debate and contention but hell it will help pass the time till the draw results come out! Idaho is asking for public comments on many issues. One being the rule that allows parents/grandparents to give an OIL tag to their kid/grandkid. I am personally against this rule for the most part after i was in line watching an 80 year old woman applying for a sheep tag! in my opinion this reduces draw odds for most of us and gives some kids/grandkids essentially double or more the draw odds of drawing a trophy tag. whether you agree or not you should go put your public comments in and weigh in. here are my public comments so feel free to copy and paste and use them if you agree.

"Trophy species should not be used to encourage kids to hunt. I fully support deer/elk/antelope tags being given and would be ok with antlerless moose being allowed. A suitable compromise would be to add a rule, that if broken would be a felony(poaching OIL species is a felony in ID), that requires that whoever drew the tag and gives it to the child/grandchild MUST accompany the child/grandchild to the field and be within 500 yards(or any reasonable #) of the child/grandchild. This rule would ensure 80 year women not capable of hunting many of the OIL species aren't applying with the only purpose of giving a child/grandchild essentially double the odds."

I'm against it as well. I know that Arizona does something similar and really dislike the behavior to creates.

No way.

Think about the implications of this if applied to states that use points. You could end up with a situation where the only way you could draw a sheep tag is if your grand parents had been putting in their entire lives and then "left" you the points.

All of these strategies, preference points, bonus points, transfer tags are just a way for one group a individuals to improve the opportunity of them and theirs over everyone else. In my opinion every state should do a straight draw every year for most species with maybe a point system like CO for the big three so that people have to 'invest' a bit in the tag.

Sorry but giving your tag to a child or parent isn't fair, there are lots of wonderful people who have been putting in for decades that deserve it just as much, if you don't want the tag it should go back in the pot.

The whole NH sub-permittee thing, is a bit weird in my mind, I think it certainly creates a great opportunity like it did for BAKPAKR but it also creates a situation where someone could buy their way into a moose tag, or could put in all there family members in for a tag and legally hunt it themselves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back