Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fishing on vacation

Stackem

We are headed out through South Dakota to Yellowstone and then up to Glacier at the end of the month. The kids are wanting to fish a day or so. What kind of setups will we need? Well have spinning outfits, but lure and or bait set ups would be helpful. Thanks

Since you'll have spinning rods you can bring a box of flies and some bubbles. I use fly and bubble about as much as a spoon when I spin fish (especially in the big reservoirs). Now, to go through those areas and not have a fly rod in hand (assuming you are a fly fisherman) would be a bummer in my opinion.

If you will be going through the black hills there is a couple days worth of stuff to see there. Sylvan Lake on the scenic loop has a lot of trout in it and will keep the kids busy. use 4-6# mono line, and a small roostertail spinner. Let it sink to different depths before retrieving to see what level they are at.

Also try a # 12 hook with a 1.5" piece of gulp earthworm threaded onto it. 16" above the hook put a BB size shot or 2, cast it out and let settle to the bottom and wait for line to take off. Warning, most of these fish will be hooked deep and die so be prepared to have a cooler of ice with you to put them in.

If you want to fish for walleyes go to the dam at Fort Thompson above Chamberlain. Stand on rocks below tailrace - BE CAREFUL with kids! - Cast raps and jigs/plastics. You will likely catch a lot of white bass in the process which is still fun. I would recommend staying at Chamberlain or Oacoma if you are going to do this option. Most other walleye fishing will require a boat and or guide.

Be sure when you get to YNP and GNP that you are not fishing in areas that are fly only.

Yellowstone is entirely bait, plastic, scent, and lead free. Make sure to pinch down all of your barbs. All you'll need is 1 lure - a jake's spin-a-lure (AKA money clip) in gold with the red dots.

jakes.png

If you're fishing in the smaller lakes in Yellowstone (Sylvan is a great recommendation!), use the smaller sizes. If you are fishing in Yellowstone lake or Lewis Lake, go for the biggest one you can find (I think they go up to 1/2oz). Fishing should be really easy around that time, especially in Yellowstone. Feel free to shoot me a PM - I used to guide down on Yellowstone Lake. If you're fishing there, I'd recommend 8lb test. Anywhere else you'll be fine with 4-6lb.

I thought there were areas in glacier that bait was ok. The lake at the lodge at many glacier is where we did the best. Caught some nice brookies there

In Yellowstone, dont forget jigs. Check some of big skys posts on here to see what jigs can do. Cloudy days will be your best bets for jigs or spinners in yellowstone.

Good luck.

Also, a lightweight spinning rig or baitcaster is all you need

Panther martins for sure like perchman said. I like the holographic ones too. Brown trout , brook trout and rainbow trout patterns work very well, dressed or undressed hooks. Pinch all those barbs.
We have a new 5 day fishing license in Wyoming for NR this year.

Pinch all those barbs.

I replace all the hooks on my lures with a single siwash hook. Hasn't seemed to make a difference in hook-up. My dad turned me on to it and he catches more fish in a day than most do in a week. Kind of fun to fish with him sometimes but other times it's frustrating :)

What kind of flies? Will one of the fly kits from bass pro or cabelas work for the fly and bubble set up? I will also have a variety of inline spinners.

Stackem
Thanks for this thread. I’m not a fisherman but my grandson started fishing last year and we are headed to Yellowstone via Nebraska, South Dakota in a couple of days. Now I can go to Basspro and pick up some of these items ahead of time. We have just been asking the locals we run into what they are using. So far he has fished a little in Texas and Kansas, and after Yellowstone we are headed south to Colorado and Utah.

Yep, local fly shop for the flies, they will also tell you where the fishing is good.

I thought there were areas in glacier that bait was ok. The lake at the lodge at many glacier is where we did the best. Caught some nice brookies there

In Yellowstone, dont forget jigs. Check some of big skys posts on here to see what jigs can do. Cloudy days will be your best bets for jigs or spinners in yellowstone.

Good luck.

Also, a lightweight spinning rig or baitcaster is all you need

Just another reminder that Yellowstone is Lead-Free. It's nearly impossible to find Jigs that are lead free - I know that was always my issue with them on Yellowstone Lake. I did eventually find some that were tungsten, but only the traditional round-headed jigs, and never ended up doing very well on them, especially because you can't tip them with plastics or bait. I did tie some up with big marabou tails, and did land some fish on them, but my experience with jigs has always been significantly better when tipped with bait or plastics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back