Cabin buying - Questions to ask

vanish

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of buying a cabin here in Colorado, or a property near NF to put a yurt on, for a few years. We can afford it, but there's always the pull back and forth between having a base versus being able to travel wherever, as well as keeping finances liquid.

A property just came on the market that, while I think the asking price is a bit too high, ticks almost all our boxes: not too far for a weekend, good access to public lands for hunting and fishing, in an area we like, good view, treed but defensible. Here's the kicker: I've actually spent a weekend on it before. We rented it for our wedding anniversary last year. I know what the winter access is like as it was February when we were there. It is already on the grid. The property is most likely too small to have any water rights.

My family has owned plenty of cabins, so I have a fair source of knowledge on maintaining them. Hauling water for a week is nothing new. One-holer's ;) are good enough for me.

What are some oddball things I might not be considering?

We're in the same spot, trying to think through what makes the most sense, location, etc.

Our checklist mirrors yours, even if it's just property, although we would prefer not being connected to the grid.

Our two biggest issues other than what you mention are proximity to amenities like a small town or general store & whether or not it would make a good vacation rental for the extra income, including what having a recreational property means for affordable housing the in the area.

Split estate mineral rights. HOA restrictions if any. Potential cost of water well, septic if required. Status of adjacent properties. County zoning. Cell service or not. Still thinking...

Look into water rights. A small property could still have water rights. If you have a well it should have a water right on it. If it doesn't you need to file for one.

I'd look at NF health. See when last fires were, how its managed, etc. I'd also know who's in charge of what on roads.

Be realistic about usage. Is it worth the trouble of up keep and cost or will that be a weight on your shoulders? Do kids play travel ball? Do you have to be at church most Sunday mornings?
I have a 10'x40' cabin built on an old mobile home frame. It's great. But I'm in the Southeast and my best deer stand is 400 yards from camp. If I lived in a Western state, I'd be tempted to buy a good camper. With all of the public land, you don't have to be tied down to a certain spot. You can take it where you draw a tag or want to go fishing.

Just finished building a cabin in Idaho. Totally worth it, property taxes are low, as are utilities. Being semi retired, I spend about 1/2 my time here. Located on the Salmon River, fish out the doorstep, elk/deer hunt within a mile or two. Bear hunting right now. Appreciation on the place has gone up almost double for what I have in it. As 3855WIN puts it, it's all about individual circumstances. I just like to bring a few groceries and good to go for a few days or a week. Although still have a camper for going to other areas.

Just finished building a cabin in Idaho. Totally worth it, property taxes are low, as are utilities. Being semi retired, I spend about 1/2 my time here. Located on the Salmon River, fish out the doorstep, elk/deer hunt within a mile or two. Bear hunting right now. Appreciation on the place has gone up almost double for what I have in it. As 3855WIN puts it, it's all about individual circumstances. I just like to bring a few groceries and good to go for a few days or a week. Although still have a camper for going to other areas.

That sound just about perfect!

Thanks for the replies, folks. A few new considerations so far here. I appreciate it.

Well, we finally got all our questions in a row and came to a decision on what we would pay for the property under the pretense of the questions being answered as expected. The property was sold the same day. Guess that one wasn't meant to be.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back