Caribou Gear

On the search for a boot, again.

I recommend Lowa's and Salomon, I've put 100's of tough miles in my Lowa's and have never ran into any issues with them, both brands are usually the go-to boots for high tier military teams as well so that speaks a lot about them.

I will echo several other posters and recommend the Meindl boots. I have weird feet with one having a fallen arch and size 9EE and the other a 7.5EEEE. I never realized how a great fitting boot/shoe was supposed to feel until I bought my first pair of Meindl Perfekts. They are the only boot I will ever purchase until they are discontinued (hopefully never!).

I need another pair and I am looking for advice on Crispi hunters. I'm 6 foot 2 & 235 size 13 I have had Meindles, Keketreks, Hangwag, Lowa. The lowa just never fit right and were to tight in the front in regards to width. The Hangwag & Kenetreks were pretty good to me no complaints really. The meindles never lasted more than a season but the fit was great. How do the crispi compare to the keketreks and hangwag.

I ended up with the Kennetrek mountain extremes uninsulated size 13EE. Not sure why I ever thought 11.5EE was the correct size for my foot or how I ever hiked so many miles in those shoes. On the road to recovery, I guess. I may never be a one boot man but I think these are a great pick for me.

Thanks for all of the guidance everyone. I do want to try the new Lathrop and Sons. Maybe next year.

I wear 12EE, have Morton's Neuroma in my left foot and I've broken all the bones in both feet multiple times.
I've tried pretty much every boot on the market at some point.
What has been working for me is strength training barefoot, wearing minimal footwear as often as possible and hiking in New Balance Minimus 10V1 trail runners in the warmer months, even when carrying a pack up to 70lbs.
So far the only boots I've found to do the trick are Rocky Boots S2V Tactical Military boots both the insulated and uninsulated versions.

Last edited:
Figured I'd post an update for those interested. After 50+ miles and wearing them nearly everyday to work the boots are feeling great! My foot pain is minimal these days with or without shoes on. The only times my feet are exceptionally hot is when I'm hiking in 90+ degree heat and the boots are constantly in the sun. Otherwise, the Kennetreks have been quite good to me. Next test, hunting season!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back