PEAX Equipment

On the search for a boot, again.

David Gough

Hi all,

I'll try to keep this short. My Crispi Idaho's aren't cutting it. Might have done some damage to my feet packing out my bull last September in them. I have wide, flat feet and need a stiff boot. I tried on the Crispi Briksdals last night and they felt good, but weren't wide enough. Crispi answered my email this morning, and they won't be coming out with a wide size until 2019 at the earliest.

My feet get hot, so I've stayed away from Kennetrek and the like. That being said, I have two tags in the Jarbidge and one of them goes until November. Hiking through the snow is a very good possibility this year (and most).

I've wanted to give the Scarpa Charmoz a try, but I can't find anywhere to try them on in my area and every other European brand I've tried on has been too narrow.

To recap, I'm looking for a stiff, wide, somewhat breathable and somewhat water resistant, boot. Am I asking too much? Do I need two boots? If you've been in this situation before, is giving up the breathability worth it?

Have you looked in the Crispi Guide boot? I personally find that it's stiff enough for heavy loads, but not like walking on a board. They make them in a wide, and it is somewhat water resistant. It has a little, but not much, insulation. Just an idea.

Have you looked in the Crispi Guide boot? I personally find that it's stiff enough for heavy loads, but not like walking on a board. They make them in a wide, and it is somewhat water resistant. It has a little, but not much, insulation. Just an idea.

I've looked at them, but haven't tried them on yet. I'll have to give them a try. Might now be the stiffness I'm looking for if I liked the Briksdals though. Thanks.

Hi all,

To recap, I'm looking for a stiff, wide, somewhat breathable and somewhat water resistant, boot. Am I asking too much? Do I need two boots? If you've been in this situation before, is giving up the breathability worth it?

I've been looking at another pair myself and Crispi is top on my list. If you want to stick with Crispi then the Thor GTX might be a good choice. It is a stiffer boot than Idaho and same stiffness of Briksdals. It also comes in a wide and is made of suede and cordura, so it will breath better than Nubuk. The only downside for me is that is color options are orange/black or olive/black.

But it does seems to fit your needs - Stiff, wide, breathable and water resistant.
https://www.crispius.com/thor-gtx

I've been looking at another pair myself and Crispi is top on my list. If you want to stick with Crispi then the Thor GTX might be a good choice. It is a stiffer boot than Idaho and same stiffness of Briksdals. It also comes in a wide and is made of suede and cordura, so it will breath better than Nubuk. The only downside for me is that is color options are orange/black or olive/black.

But it does seems to fit your needs - Stiff, wide, breathable and water resistant.
https://www.crispius.com/thor-gtx

I was looking at those last night too, but didn't have a chance to try them on. The foot bed might be as stiff as the briksdal, but the upper isn't with the ABSS. I'll have to look at them more though. Thanks.

I have a wide foot and you can search on here my thoughts on boots. I went with Cabela's Meindl. They ahve been just incredible.

I wore the same pair of Meindl Denali boots for a long time and have wide feet. I have rotated in a pair of Zamberlan 960 Guide boots in wide and they are working great

I think the Lowa Tibet's I have are stiffer than the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes that I also have. The Kenetreks fit my feet way better though.

I have a wide foot and you can search on here my thoughts on boots. I went with Cabela's Meindl. They ahve been just incredible.
Definitely go to Cabelas at Boomtown and try these. They run wide, have a good stiff sole and are well made.

I would look at inserts to give a slight arch or more support in your boot. Also, if you found a boot that it's what you wanted but just a little shy on width - look into a shoe repair service that can do small stretch on the width. I have done this before and it worked out great. You also don't want to widen it to where it's basically a different size and off shape though.

Wide foot here also. Lowa's come in wide sizes and I buy mine 1/2 size long, also drop in an aftermarket SOLE footbed. I like to go with the Goretex/uninsulated combo. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

I wouldn't dismiss the Kennetrek Hard Scrabble. I wear a 12 EE and have issues with plantar fasciitis as well and their boot is the best thing I've ever done to my feet. They're uninsulated and while all leather, I've never had an issue with overheating when you combine a good wool sock, even in the summer.

Definitely go to Cabelas at Boomtown and try these. They run wide, have a good stiff sole and are well made.

Never thought I would own a Cabelas boot, but I'll have to try them on and give them a flex. Thanks guys.

I wouldn't dismiss the Kennetrek Hard Scrabble. I wear a 12 EE and have issues with plantar fasciitis as well and their boot is the best thing I've ever done to my feet. They're uninsulated and while all leather, I've never had an issue with overheating when you combine a good wool sock, even in the summer.

I'll have to look at these, although I do prefer more ankle support.

Wide foot here also. Lowa's come in wide sizes and I buy mine 1/2 size long, also drop in an aftermarket SOLE footbed. I like to go with the Goretex/uninsulated combo. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Definitely going to look at those and the Superfeet insoles once I have a boot on the way. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zjzeuske
Back