Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Backpack hunting boot input

BluegrassBilly

After a failure of my old Asolo 520s, I find myself in search of replacements. The boots were solid and endured abuse well, but they experienced the sole delamination that seems to be a trend with this model - they're fine until the mid-sole quite literally disintegrates. Granted, I had mine for 14 years, but it wasn't 14 years of heavy use. I know that I will try to get maximum use out of them, but am hesitant that another complete failure could occur at a critical moment.

The options I'm considering are replacement Asolo's, as they did treat me well for a long time, Scarpa Kenesis Pro, or Zamberlan Viox, Viox Lux, or Guide. Seeking all input from those who have used any of these boots.

I typically hunt/pack in the southern Appalachians, but will likely make a trip or two to Wyoming/Idaho/Montana, if that helps any.

I'm still using Asolo's http://www.asolo-usa.com/catalog/pr...rmatic-200-gv-mens-dark-graphite/category/54/
They are going on year 3 or 4 with close to 200 miles on them. A quick retreat keeps them waterproof and they fit me well.

Remember that boots are like jeans. Lots of people can tell you their favorite, but you need to try them on. If Asolo worked for you before, the fit hasn't changed. Give them another shot. Hell, even cars and trucks rust after 15yrs of use in the wild. I think you got your miles out of those boots. My old Asolo's still ride in the closet. You never know.

I just bought a pair of Scarpas. Took a day or two of walking around the house to find the right fit, but they seem positive so far. They seem to strike a good balance between flex and support.

I wouldn't overlook Crispi. I have the Idaho put 6miles right out of the box. The comfort and fit was great. I also have a pair of Zamberlans that have about 15 miles on them and still aren't broke in yet.

I suppose, based on your shared experience of the boots you wore, don't fix what's not broke. Stay with the boot type that works. Feet are a bit finnicky... :)

Back