When to by NR Locking Tags

AvidIndoorsman

Heading to Adak in August and then POW next spring, should I buy my locking tags now and have them mailed to me or should I get them in Anchorage/Ketchikan? Won't have a huge amount of time between commercial flights to heading into the field 6 hours maybe... maybe... and will be arriving on a Sunday both trips.

I have no idea what the shipping time on the tags (for August) would be for you to buy them now - I'd check w/F&G.
There is a Cabela's within a 15 minute drive from the airport in Anchorage.

I would order them closer to when you leave just in case you can't go. To be extra careful, I would order them a week before I leave since they don't mail them until the next business day. You can also buy them when you get there. I lost mine and I had to go to one of the bigger sporting good stores. If you lose yours make them call Juneau and ask about the $5 replacement. When i was at the sporting goods store they called the local fish and game numnuts and they were going to have them charge me another $450 for a new 5 cent tin tag.

I just got back from a hunt in SE and purchased my locking tag at a local hardware store the day before I hunted. Not sure what your logistics are in POW, but there is a pretty nice but smallish outdoor store in Klawock. If you are taking the ferry across from Ketchikan you will have to drive through Klawock if you are heading anywhere to the North.

I don't know if they sell locking tags, but I would guess that they do. If not, somewhere else in town might.

That store in Klawock is called "The Black Bear Store". Not sure if they sell locking tags or not. I've always just ordered them online a week and a half before my trip. They usually arrive in about 3 days.

That store in Klawock is called "The Black Bear Store". Not sure if they sell locking tags or not. I've always just ordered them online a week and a half before my trip. They usually arrive in about 3 days.

They do sell locking tags at The Black Bear Store. They also sell them at the G&F in Craig. One note. If you buy them in person, you have to pay cash if that is a concern for you.

Get them mailed to you. I would not chance, missed flights, delays, the stores being open, or even having the tags in stock. I've seen the big stores sell out or run out of all sorts of things.

Good luck on your trips.

I'm going to catch a flight directly from Ketchikan directly into the woods... I think I will be taking Bambistew's advice and just buying them a few weeks out...

Also, and this probably shows me to be a millennial, but I don't like I have paid $450 in cash for anything in my entire life...I don't even think I have had that much cash in my wallet at once size I was waiting tables when I was 18...

Ordered mine for my upcoming moose hunt and it only took a week to get to AZ. The way I look at it, its one less thing to worry about doing when I get to town.

Back