Caribou Gear Tarp

which .270 round for moose?

It's hard to go wrong with the tried and true Nosler Partition 150 grain as long as it shoots well in your rifle.

I am cheap and they shoot well out of my 270's so I shot my moose with Remington Core-Lokt 130 grain. He took 2 steps and tipped over. I don't think moose are very hard to kill with good shot placement.

I agree my Dad has killed 4 moose with a 257 Roberts using 117 Nosler Partition. Shot placement and any bullet that holds together.

How are the either of those bullets adequate where an Accubond would not? That ammo is loaded with a 140gr moly coated Accubond, the same 140gr Accubond that's already been suggested at least a dozen times. If you go on Nosler's website they'll tell you the performance between the Accubond and Partition are similar but achieved through different methods.

"Both bullets are designed to expand into consistent mushrooms while retaining 65-70% of their original weight with proven performance over a wide range of velocities and game."

https://faq.nosler.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=2&artlang=en

Last edited:
I have never tried the Accubond in any cartridge. I only showed concern for a bullet designed to expand in a whitetail and antelope might not be effective on an animal the size of a moose. I have tried Nosler Partitons in .340 Wby for Elk ( 25 to be exact) and have had excellent results. After a rebarrel, I went to the A-Frames that shot better out of the new barrel. They were also impressive on Elk (added 2 more Bulls to the count). The OP wanted to know what bullet would be best for moose, and I questioned a deer/antelope load as maybe not being a stout enough bullet. I could not recommend them because I have never used them on anything. I could recommend the Partitions and A-Frames because I have used them on Elk which is a little closer comparison to a moose than a deer or antelope. As with everyone else, I gave my opinion which might not agree with yours or anyone elses. I stand by my suggestion of a Partition or A-Frame for moose.

I've used the 140gr Accubond in my 270 for deer and in my experience I think it's too tough for all but the biggest deer and black bear. They did the job but for that class of game animals bonded bullets are a waste because they don't have the body density needed to achieve maximum expansion and energy transfer where a lighter jacketed bullet line a Hornady SST or Nosler BT would provide adequate penetration and dump massive amounts of energy but hold together enough for an exit wound. All the deer I've shot with the Accubond ran much further than any I've shot with SSTs or Corelokts which usually dropped on the spot or fell within 20 yards which leads me to think they need a much tougher target to get full benefit from them. I'm obviously not saying that the partitions or any of the swift bullets wouldn't be good choices but my experience makes me think the Accubond is every bit as tough as the partition with the added benefit of being better designed for longer range shots.

Edit: I think it's also fair to say that there is a definitely a biased from manufacturers favoring magnum cartridges when advertising their ammo toward a certain class of animals because they don't want to be held liable for someone using their ammo on game for which the bullet is adequately built for but not putting the bullet where it needs to be to do the job. Nosler even lists my 26 Nosler with a 140gr Accubond as a deer cartridge even though the muzzle velocity, BC, and Sectional Density of that configuration would probably do the job for anything in North America except MAYBE the big bears.

Last edited:
I would try the Federal Power-Shok Copper HP also...perform the same as the higher priced TSX, A-Frame, Trophy Coppers but half the price. Could mean more time at the range.

I would try the Federal Power-Shok Copper HP also...perform the same as the higher priced TSX, A-Frame, Trophy Coppers but half the price. Could mean more time at the range.

I never tried them. They are probably similar to the TSX and Trophy Coppers, but the A-Frame is not a mono bullet. A closer comparison to the A-Frame would be the Partition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back