Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default which .270 round for moose?

Taking my .270 moose hunting this year. British Columbia. What grain, make ect.? Thanks!
    "Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life."

I would go with a swift A-Frame, 150 grain.

Any Nosler Part. or Accubond, Barnes TTSX or TSX, or the above mentioned Swift A-Frame in 140 or 150 grain that shoots well in your rifle will do the job.

Do you reload?

150 partition
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by ishootdasmallones View Post
    Do you reload?
    I dont. I need to though.
    "Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life."

Quote Originally Posted by Quackillr View Post
    150 partition
    Or a 140 grain Accubond. In copper I"d look at a Hammer. They did very, very well in Africa on big critters last month. mtmuley

I put mine down with a 140 TSX. My dad did the same the following year. Neither made it 20 yards. They were big bulls but didn’t seem all that tough compared to even a cow elk.

Quote Originally Posted by jae011 View Post
    I dont. I need to though.
    Nosler loads a 140 accubond. That would be my choice.

10. Default

Name:  20150331_172326.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  34.3 KB
    This one shot pretty well in my rifle and runs way cheaper than Nosler still running an Accubond.

150 partition comes to mind.

I have taken several moose with a .270, 150 gr. Nosler Partition.

I took a moose with a 150gr Nosler partition out of a 270WSM

another vote for the 150 Partition.
    "You are a fool to argue health insurance with Nemont, Resource management with Buzz, or spelling with Moosie.." - Jose Cuervo

I am cheap and they shoot well out of my 270's so I shot my moose with Remington Core-Lokt 130 grain. He took 2 steps and tipped over. I don't think moose are very hard to kill with good shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
    Any Nosler Part. or Accubond, Barnes TTSX or TSX, or the above mentioned Swift A-Frame in 140 or 150 grain that shoots well in your rifle will do the job.
    I'd second this. I'd also throw in the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip.

Look at these things: http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=284

If those velocities are true, that's impressive.

My choice in order would be
    130gr ttsx
    140gr accubond
    150gr partition
    I'm pretty sure the thermal's hate me

+1 for the 150 grain Nosler Partition. I have never shot a moose with that load, but I have shot plenty of elk with it. Love that load in my .270!

I shot my moose with a 150 grain NP in a Federal factory load and it worked fine. Nowadays I would probably have 130 grain TTSX's for the same hunt, but there is nothing wrong at all with the Partition. Mine made it less than 50 yes and tipped over.

Your .270 is "enough gun" for the task and you just need to find the right bull. Have a great time in BC.

I'd use whatever premium factory round shoots the best out of your rifle. Just my $0.02.

160 grain partition from Double Tap Ammo. When you care enough to send the very best.

It's hard to go wrong with the tried and true Nosler Partition 150 grain as long as it shoots well in your rifle.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by JEL View Post
    I am cheap and they shoot well out of my 270's so I shot my moose with Remington Core-Lokt 130 grain. He took 2 steps and tipped over. I don't think moose are very hard to kill with good shot placement.
    I agree my Dad has killed 4 moose with a 257 Roberts using 117 Nosler Partition. Shot placement and any bullet that holds together.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real, but sometimes they have some good idea's.

Nosler Partition, Accubond, or E-tip in any weight from 130-150 grains would work great for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast