Caribou Gear

Maine Moose Lottery

targetpanic

THe Maine moose lottery is happening on Saturday 6/9/18. The results will be available later that day. I have been applying since 2002...hoping this is my year to draw a tag. Is anybody else in the drawing??? I've spent a lot of time in zones 7 and 8 and some time in Zone 4 if anybody gets a tag in those zones.

I'm in, I'm down to Maine and my home state of Wyo to draw anything. Good luck!

I'm in, can't wait to say "well, maybe next year" again.

Really wish Maine would have a system set up to do automatic emails to everyone saying thanks for you money, but you didn't draw

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-trapping/moose-permit.html

A couple things to note.
1)" Note for applicants Age 65+: A recent law change guarantees a moose permit to any Maine resident applicant who is 65 years of age or older or will turn 65 during the calendar year of the hunt, who also has at least 30 points in the lottery system. Be sure to submit your application prior to the deadline and indicate all the seasons and WMDs where you are interested in getting a permit." The way the lottery system/bonus point works means that you will be guaranteed a tag when you turn 65 as long as you have been applying for 15 years. This is gonna screw up the odds for sure as a certain number of permits will get pulled out of the pool before the lottery even starts????
2) The NR "NON-RESIDENT LOTTERY
Non-Resident Applicants: 15,763
  Non-Resident Permits Issued: 207
  Non-Resident Selection Rate: 1.3% (~1 permit for every 76 applicants)
" This really tells us nothing as A) it doesn;t show you how many people are at what point level and B)you can buy as many chances in the lottery as you want!

I'm in but never "plan" on actually getting drawn. Just hoping to be surprised one day kind of like Kentucky Elk.

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-trapping/moose-permit.html

A couple things to note.
1)" Note for applicants Age 65+: A recent law change guarantees a moose permit to any Maine resident applicant who is 65 years of age or older or will turn 65 during the calendar year of the hunt, who also has at least 30 points in the lottery system. Be sure to submit your application prior to the deadline and indicate all the seasons and WMDs where you are interested in getting a permit." The way the lottery system/bonus point works means that you will be guaranteed a tag when you turn 65 as long as you have been applying for 15 years. This is gonna screw up the odds for sure as a certain number of permits will get pulled out of the pool before the lottery even starts????
2) The NR "NON-RESIDENT LOTTERY
Non-Resident Applicants: 15,763
  Non-Resident Permits Issued: 207
  Non-Resident Selection Rate: 1.3% (~1 permit for every 76 applicants)
" This really tells us nothing as A) it doesn;t show you how many people are at what point level and B)you can buy as many chances in the lottery as you want!

You are exactly right last I heard those roughly 15,000 applicants bought over 30,000 chances the odds are much worse than they lead you to believe.

I am in. I need another point in another state for another animal.

I drew a Maine tag in 2009. It was a great experience with lots of moose. I was amused to see a guide driving around with a hunter on a shooting tower in the back of his pickup.

When I was doing my pre-season internet scouting, a very helpful forester from Maine told me that a bull will average 10” between its eyes. I had set a 50” minimum goal for myself. So, as my bull came in, I zoomed my scope with duplex type crosshairs in until the center intersection was on one eye and the edge of the thicker section of the horizontal crosshair was on the other. I then used that same reference and measured across the antlers. I came up with 52” that way. It was actually 52 3/4”. A bigger one probably wouldn’t have stood around long enough for me to have done that. Of course, if it had been bigger, I probably wouldn’t have had any question about whether I should take it.

Good luck everyone (unless your number is right on top of mine).

I'm in but I have only applied for a few years now. I'm pretty lucky so I'm guessing my tag is coming in 2019.
Woohoo!

Your right I personally know people who have applied over 40 years with no tag. I also know a guy that has drawn three bull tags believe it or not!

Drew a few years back after 31 years and am back in the mix this year. My wife has max bonus points plus the 10 she bought and my son goes in with 5. It’s a great tag to win if you are lucky enough. I’d love to go on another moose hunt and it would be a busy fall having already drawn a Wyoming Elk tag. Good luck to all who entered.

Your right I personally know people who have applied over 40 years with no tag. I also know a guy that has drawn three bull tags believe it or not!

Well no tag for me but get this. My buddy from the above post just drew his 4th bull tag in Maine and it was also a party app. WOW he must be buying 50 ten packs or something....

I drew a cow tag in unit 5. This is my 8th year applying. I'm so excited. My mom is from Maine so I remember seeing moose in Baxter State Park when I was little and went to visit my grandparents. Now I get to go hunt them. Its going to be a blast.

SCliving, congrats on the cow tag. You will have a great time and wind up with a lot of good meat. You will need to plan on how you are going to handle your meat. There is a list of moose processors available on the IFW website. Contact several as processing times and costs vary. Good luck!

I had a very brief moment of hope as I saw my last name, unfortunately they got my first name wrong.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back