Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

South Dakota Bison

jae011

Anyone ever apply for a bison tag in SD? I believe it takes place in Custer state park. I hear its more of a harvest than a hunt but just curios if anyone knows much about it. Ive put in a few times, don't really expect to draw but figured it can't hurt.

I drew a cow tag there a few years back, luckily before the huge price increase. The cow hunts are definitely a harvest. I'd do it again as it tasted good, but not at the current price.
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

I go to harvest buffalo with one of several tribes in state just about every year and split meat with friends; it works out pretty reasonably in comparison to the CSP tag. I am a member at the Oglala Sioux Tribe so getting licenses is quite a bit cheaper for me, maybe you have a friend that is a tribal member that you could work out an agreement with for a hunt?

QUOTE=1_pointer
I drew a cow tag there a few years back, luckily before the huge price increase. The cow hunts are definitely a harvest. I'd do it again as it tasted good, but not at the current price.

How many points did it take you?

Last edited:
QUOTE=1_pointer

How many points did it take you?
Honestly, I don't know. I put in for points for a number of years and the one year I applied I drew. Hazarding a guess, I'd say 5-6pts or there abouts.

I've bought points for 2 or 3 years but since the price increase I can't figure out how to do if this year

I've been buying points for Custer Buffalo for a few years. I know SD recently tweaked their preference point system.

The way the system works now, folks with a few points have some chance of drawing whereas in the past, I don't think you had a chance if you only had a couple of points. I think everyone in the top tier gets throw in the draw and their number of points gets cubed.

I've been buying points for Custer Buffalo for a few years. I know SD recently tweaked their preference point system.

The way the system works now, folks with a few points have some chance of drawing whereas in the past, I don't think you had a chance if you only had a couple of points. I think everyone in the top tier gets throw in the draw and their number of points gets cubed.

The only difference in the draw going forward is the cubed points, for example the trophy bison tag they give out two licenses and they go to the 2+ points pool. So everyone with 2 points or more are eligible. Your 2 points are just cubed now instead of staying at 2. This was to try and steer tgs to the higher point holders.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back