New Muzzleloader Options?

NC2CO

I've always hunted with a borrowed TC Encore but it's time for me to own one. This will primarily be a whitetail gun and I'd love to stretch it out to 300 with consistent groups. Would like to stick with a 50 caliber...

Rem 700 50 cal?
Another TC Encore 50 cal?

Please let me know what you have experience with and whether you'd recommend or not.

Thanks!

I have a cva accura v2 that I am very happy with. Very accurate.
My dad just ordered a rem 700 ultimate, no report yet.

The next muzzleloader I buy will be a Savage ML10.

Between a faster barrel twist allowing for .40 cal sabots, and the ability to use smokeless powder where legal gives it the edge IMO.

Currently own CVA accura.

A thing to keep in mind is if you ever want to hunt states like Idaho make sure you can convert it to do so. I have a cva accura and I think it cost like $25 to swap the plug and pin to make it ID legal.

I have a TC FX muzzleloader. I really like the way it shoots. I've had it four years now and have had no issues.

My CVA Accura has the thumb-hole stock and the nitride barrel. Guaranteed never to rust. It shoots great with Blackhorn209 and is one of my favorite guns for hunting midwest whitetails where there are rifle caliber restrictions.

I'll through Knight into the mix. I have two and like how they both shoot. Here in MN we recently changed to allowing scopes on ML but I haven't attempted to stretch the range at all. I'm very comfortable keeping things under 150-200 where I hunt.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Sounds like I've got some more homework to do!

i am not aware of blackpowder MLs that are much past 200 yards. there could be some

I think it is hard to beat CVA.

Buy one with fiber optic sites (Colorado, Idaho, Washington, Nevada, and Oregon legal) and then mount a scope on the drill and tapped portion is it tickles your fancy.

You can get a breech plug which makes it legal for the Northwest (Idaho, Washington, Oregon) or a breach plug for blackhorn 209 and they are interchangeable by simply screwing them on or off.

It also makes cleaning a breeze.

I have 3

CVA Wolf - Fiber Optic sites - 370 gr TC Maxiballs - 90 grains of BH209 - Fiocchi 209 magnum primers

CVA Optima - Traditions scope 2x7x30 - 300 gr Hornady SST sabot- 110 grains of BH209 - Fiocchi 209 magnum primers

CVA Accura LR - Konus scope 3x9x40 - 290 gr Barnes spitfire TMZ - 110 grains of BH209 - Fiocchi 209 magnum primers

All can be 300 yard shooters, but the LR is designed for it.

I have one of the newer Knights, the mountaineer. It's a real shooter but heavy. I would go the CVA route if I wanted a new one. The Accura is a nice rifle.

CVA Optima. In South Dakota magnified optics are illegal so I just run fiber optic sights. I run Blackhorn powder and it's really accurate for an open sighted rig. Fun to shoot.

I think it is hard to beat CVA.

Buy one with fiber optic sites (Colorado, Idaho, Washington, Nevada, and Oregon legal) and then mount a scope on the drill and tapped portion is it tickles your fancy.

You can get a breech plug which makes it legal for the Northwest (Idaho, Washington, Oregon) or a breach plug for blackhorn 209 and they are interchangeable by simply screwing them on or off.

It also makes cleaning a breeze.

I have 3

CVA Wolf - Fiber Optic sites - 370 gr TC Maxiballs - 90 grains of BH209 - Fiocchi 209 magnum primers

CVA Optima - Traditions scope 2x7x30 - 300 gr Hornady SST sabot- 110 grains of BH209 - Fiocchi 209 magnum primers

CVA Accura LR - Konus scope 3x9x40 - 290 gr Barnes spitfire TMZ - 110 grains of BH209 - Fiocchi 209 magnum primers

All can be 300 yard shooters, but the LR is designed for it.

TheDude

I have been going back and forth between the Accura and the Accura LR. Do you think the LR is worth the difference and what kind of groups are you getting out of your LR?

Thanks

Tyler

TheDude

I have been going back and forth between the Accura and the Accura LR. Do you think the LR is worth the difference and what kind of groups are you getting out of your LR?

Thanks

Tyler

The groups on all 3 are less than 1" at 50 yards. I do not plan on taking longer shots, because it is a ML.

The advantage of the LR is the longer barrel and the thumb-hole stock.

You can get a good poke with a good load with the LR, but for moderate ranges I think the Accura would do just fine.

If you want to shoot 300 yards, why not just shoot a rifle? FFS, a muzzleloader used to be considered a primative weapon. I know people that won't shoot a bolt action hunting rifle 300 yards.

i have a TC Strike and really like it, for the tight woods i hunt, one rarely gets a chance to shoot much past 75yds, however, i have had a few long range shots when i'm able to hunt a farm, and have so far been able to stretch out to a little over 200yds with it. two brothers i hunt with on occasion swear by the CVA Accura, and consistently have taken deer well out to 300yds with their ML's. good luck on whatever you decide.

Back