Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

LWCF: MT Representatives stance

Sytes

MT Senator, (R) Steve Daines

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). As a fifth generation Montanan and an avid outdoorsman, I share your desire to preserve Montana's unparalleled natural beauty for future generations and am committed to preserving LWCF as a tool to improve wildlife habitat, outdoor recreation opportunities, and economic development on our public lands.

I am a proud cosponsor of S. 896, a bill to permanently reauthorize LWCF and reserve a portion of the Fund to facilitate recreational access to existing public lands. Additionally, I was pleased to help secure language in the Energy Policy Modernization Act, which passed out of committee in July, to permanently reauthorize LWCF. Authorization for LWCF expired on September 30, 2015, but Congress recently extended its authorization until September 30, 2018, as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2016. In the most recent FY 2018 budget LWCF recieved approximetly $425 million...
MT Representative, Steve Daines

It continues though this is the main portion when I shared my LWCF concerns - to make sure this is funded, on a permanent basis would be my desire.

His response; True? I believe so. False? Would be interested.

Good stuff Senator Daines!

Last edited:
His response; True? I believe so. False? Would be interested.
Don't know what that means. ???

Thank-you for communicating with Sen Daines. I am continuously reminded that his version of a "portion of the Fund to facilitate recreational access to existing public lands" falls within Kerry White's CBU definition of access that requires motors, roads, and resource extraction as a critical component of "access". It is consistent with the recent republican political ads that describe the need to open "blocked access" to public lands. Public lands which already have access to horseback riders, runners, skiers, hikers, hunters and others who have recreated on public lands for decades, if not centuries, is apparently ignored as not viable "access". The concept of protecting pristine wildlands and special places is similarly ignored ... or at least never mentioned.

LWCF: Response from MT Congressman (R) Greg Gianforte

MT Congressman Greg Gianforte's response:
I do not see jack squat related related to my specific query about keeping and permanently funding LWCF. A few horse pucky comments within...

Stttttrrrrike!

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me about public lands. I appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

As a Montanan, I understand how important our public lands are to our local economies, communities, and, more importantly, our very way of life. Our state is home to some of the most beautiful landscapes and ecosystems in the country. Access to public lands should continue to be shared by all.

I will not tolerate the selling of our public lands. Inefficiently managed forests and special-interest litigants have put Montanans at risk. Many areas in our forests are so poorly tended to that a single spark will completely wipe out decades of timber growth and habitat preservation. We need to find a way to cut through the bureaucracy to ensure our parks, forests, and other public areas are properly managed.

I will consistently stand up to keep our public lands public. As a member of the House Natural Resources Committee, please know that I will keep your thoughts firmly in mind as we discuss how to best manage and preserve our natural heritage.

Thank you again for contacting me. Hearing from other Montanans allows me to better understand your perspective. As your representative in Congress, I will continue to rely on your views as to serve as a strong voice for Montana. I invite you to visit my website at gianforte.house.gov to sign up to receive my newsletter and find information on current legislation and my representation of Montana. If I can help you or your family, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Greg Gianforte
Member of Congress

Last edited:
LWCF: MT Representative (D) Jon Tester

Not received a response from MT Senator Tester, yet. If / when I do, I'll share it here unless another has a response they can share.
I am confident of his position on LWCF though it would be good to have them visible for others who may be formulating positions.
I'm not a fan of his recent XXXXX position though that is outside the Conservation world of content. He's had my votes in the past though that may change. Glad, as I believe, he is fully supportive of LWCF.

Last edited:
Horse pucky indeed! He alludes to the impossible task of managing Montana forests like a garden and thus preventing wildfires. Naive, ignorant, stupid are a few terms which quickly come to mind.

Thank-you, Montana Congressman Gianforte! (How in h-e-double toothpicks did you ever get elected???)!!!

'Sorry Sytes; responses from our congressional delegation after your worthy efforts obviously provoke me.

From Gianforte's reply
Many areas in our forests are so poorly tended to that a single spark will completely wipe out decades of timber growth and habitat preservation.

Any chance that this is related to Congress' refusal to properly fund the forest service, making them raid operating expenses to pay for firefighting?

"impossible to manage our forests"?? WTF? Improbable, but not impossible.....

Horse pucky indeed! He alludes to the impossible task of managing Montana forests like a garden and thus preventing wildfires. Naive, ignorant, stupid are a few terms which quickly come to mind.

Thank-you, Montana Congressman Gianforte! (How in h-e-double toothpicks did you ever get elected???)!!!

'Sorry Sytes; responses from our congressional delegation after your worthy efforts obviously provoke me.

Montana Democrats decided to run a Bernie Sanders in a cowboy hat anti-gun, musician against Gianforte last time. Who will they select this time? Find out today.

From Gianforte's reply

Any chance that this is related to Congress' refusal to properly fund the forest service, making them raid operating expenses to pay for firefighting?

It's related to obstructioists filing lawsuit after lawsuit, tying up the F S ability to properly manage the property they are in charge of. Thankfully we have groups like RMEF that have had enough of this horse pucky, and are doing something about it. Winning strategy for Montana Democrats to adopt if they are interested in winning another election.

http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/Pr...ourtRulesinFavorofActiveForestManagement.aspx

Montana Democrats decided to run a Bernie Sanders in a cowboy hat anti-gun, musician against Gianforte last time. Who will they select this time? Find out today.
Interesting point, BHR. But I think the current array of D candidates presents an improved hope for Montana.

Locally the R's sure picked some dandy's, just when you think they can't sink any lower. Ravalli County continues to lead the state in crazy.

Locally the R's sure picked some dandy's, just when you think they can't sink any lower. Ravalli County continues to lead the state in crazy.

And you and I both live in Ravalli County. We must like crazy. Both parties have there share of crazy right now. I'll take Ravalli crazy over California crazy every day though.

And you and I both live in Ravalli County. We must like crazy. Both parties have there share of crazy right now. I'll take Ravalli crazy over California crazy every day though.

Difference is I'm from Ravalli County. Wasn't always this way, transplant screwed things up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back