What .cal

Nothing revelatory here, as there are so many "perfect/do-all" calibers out there and some mentioned here, but we can't have a thread without mentioning the boring old 30-06

I'll second the motion for the ol' Ought Six. Jeff Cooper once said, "I have satisfied myself completely over the years that the .30-06 will do anything that needs doing in North America."

In the past I've used a 7mm Mag for everything. Picked up a 6.5 creedmore for deer sized and smaller game.

No matter how boring people think it is the .30-06 will always be the king of a single rifle option with bullets ranging from 55 grain up to 240.

Nice stags!!

I have numerous rifles in different calibers.
Wife's 223 Rem is a range only rifle.
Building a 250 Savage, and 6.5mm Rem Mag. Have a 257 Roberts, 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag.

White tails here can weigh upwards of 15 stones. Elk in the 57 stone range.

I use a pile of guns on same critter but, for the sake of conversation if I had a do all rifle it would be a 18" barrel 300 WSM with suppressor.

Shot everything (deer, elk, antelope, coyote) with a .270 win. for the last 35 years. Wore that barrel out and it is now a 338-06 and my backup elk rifle. I now shoot a 308 win. as my main big game rifle.
Wondering why you switched from the 270 to 308
U like the 308 better for elk ?

Wondering why you switched from the 270 to 308
U like the 308 better for elk ?

I switched because I had a son who was also shooting a .308 win. and I wanted to have the same caliber when we are hunting together. I have worked up a load that shoots sub MOA in both rifles so we can share ammo if the need arises. My .270 win. has shot a lot of elk over the last 35 years and is an excellent caliber for elk. Most dropped quickly after the first shot with only a couple standing long enough for me to send a second round into the boiler room.

270,7mm08 , 308, 30-06. I got one of each but use the 270. Given if my 7mm08 was in the same package as my 270 I would likely use it mostly.

I saved up all my different forms of income for a year when I had completed my hunters safety course and when I was 13, bought a remington 700 in 30'06. At the time, if I recall correctly, I was pining over a .280 remington. My old man talked me out of that and into the 06 for a number of reasons, but mostly because of the vast selection of factory ammo and that every bumkin town's gas station in our whitetail shack's neck of the Wisconsin North woods would carry something I could stuff in the magazine. 25 years later, that cartridge has put a lot of meat on the table. I wouldn't trade it for a dozen new rifles in all these current, "trendy" calibers.

Not that I don't plan on purchasing a couple of them. :)

Cheers.

I like a 6.5 x55. Solid up through whitetails. Might kill an elk. 308 or 30-06 probably make more sense for the one gun guy.

I would go with one of two. Haven't shot either. Either 6.5 CM/260 Rem or 7mm-08. I am a fan of both, loved the 280 Rem and 7mm Rem Mag years ago but most my hunting in 7mm was with a 7x57, loved it. Think a 7mm-08 will do anything the 7x57 will do.

These days I'm really big on 6.5's. Using a 6.5-06 and a 6.5x55. Thinking about either a 260 Rem of 6.5 CM, not sure which yet. For bullet's I'm a middle of the road fan, like a bit over mid range bullet's for cartridge. I don't think any of the animals you hunt over there are all that big that a 6.5 with a 130 gr class bullet would have any trouble and certainly not a 140gr bullet. I seldom ever recommend a 243 for big game but it obviosly works well for you. I have this thing, if it works, don't mess with it. I and not very up to date on new powder's nd bullet's. Can't find even one reason to desert components that had worked for me for so many years. I would suggest you keep what work's for you and get another to fool around with. I'm assuming you reload?

Love the Roe Bucks! When I was in Scotland last month I couldn't help think of hunting in that gorgeous country. I picked up some Roe buck sheds and am considering them my best souvenir from the trip. Personally the .243 is a go to for me. I'm mainly after Deer and Pronghorn so it gets the job done. I have a ton of confidence in it. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Hi Guys.

I am from Scotland.
We have Reds, Sika, Fallow, Roe and foxes.

I use a .243 for every thing.

Big Red Rutting Stags drop to it. 20 stone plus.

Just wondering what you guys use over the pond?

One rifle for all.

Or

A few rifles for different jobs.

Cheers
Alan

PS a couple of photos from the .243 hit list

The Stag on the Left was 20 stone dressed. Stag on the the right was just over 18 Stone
View attachment 83308

A Royal Stag shot over 300 yards (12 Points=a Royal)
View attachment 83309
Couple of wee Roe Bucks
View attachment 83310

Small game (rabbit, hare, grouse) - .22lr
Small game long range and medium game (coyote, bobcat, Fox) - .17WSM
Medium game long range - .223Rem
Big game (deer, elk,bear) - 7mmRemMag, .300WinMag

Ssshhhhh. Don't tell the wife, but i'm adding to my "collection".
Just put money down on a used Ruger 77MKII in 280 Rem.

Looks like my daughter is going to use the 250 Savage this year.

If I could only have one gun, would be 12 gauge. Squirrels, rabbits, grouse, pheasant, dove, turkey, ducks, geese, deer, home defense. If I could add one centerfire rifle it would probably be a .308Win. But with hand-loading, any one of .270Win, .270WSM, .308Win, 7mmRemMag, 30-06, 300WSM or 300WM could a fit the bill (probably 7mm08HT as well).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back