Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Brand New to Archery

30-06shooter

Hey everyone. So, my wife and I are first year bow hunters. I bought her, her first bow for Christmas, a Cabela's Fortitude L by Bowtech and I just purchased a Diamond Deploy. Both came set up and ready to go. We are happy with them and they shoot great. Both of us are totally new to the archery scene, shooting and hunting. Anything anyone recommends we should trade out on the bows, anything we should get, or any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Honestly if it works for you, and you like it, use it. Be sure you get enough practice in with the broadheads you intend to use.

Trade out as you learn and invest in bowhunting. Pretty much everything on there can be upgraded, and it can get expensive quick. Go to 3D shoots and practice as much as you can. Pay for some lessons if you don't have someone mentoring you. Far better to spend cash now, then to have to unlearn bad habits.

Practice and good form. Since you are both new to archery I would go to local shoots and find someone to teach you good form. Archery is muscle memory practice bad form and eventually you'll start having troubles.

Practice outside. Don't stick with the indoor 20 yard range. Shoot 30, 40, 50 yards.
Find a tree, set up a stand and practice from elevated position if that is the way your going to hunt.
Get a range finder.

I'm also a beginner and found a local club that does 3D shoots once a month. My local club is fairly small and they sold me a target for very cheap ($10 for a McKenzie Blackbuck target) that was still in really good shape. It only needed some minor repair and a new paint job and has motivated me to practice more and more. Its a great place to meet new friends and potential mentors. I shoot a longbow and i've even motivated a few of the compound shooters to consider picking up their traditional bows again.

Also, really work on your form. It may be a little slow and frustrating but that is what is working for me. I can start to feel the difference when I get everything right versus when something is off. When the shot doesn't feel right, I let down and try again to make sure I get it right.

Best of luck!

Confidence is the best piece of equipment you can have. I'd recommend finding a local club or shop with a 3d target league. You'll have a blast, meet great people and build a lot of confidence going into the season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back