Points??

Alan413

Hi Guys.

I am from Scotland . We don't need tags or points to go shoot an animal. As long as it legal and in season.

Just trying to understand your system. How to you get award points?
Then do you cash the points in to get tags?

Can you apply for any game?

Can you buy tags or is it get these points to swap them.

I also see there is a lottery system.

Thanks
Alan

Each state has its own system for offering big game hunting opportunity. The Western states have the most competition for tags and the best diversity in game species so they offer bonus points, preference points, random draws, landowner tags, etc. In many Eastern states you get a bunch of deer, turkey, and/or bear tags when you buy your license.

While looking at hunting opportunity, tag numbers depend on obvious factors like game population size or trend and hunting pressure. Then other influences come into play such as weather conditions (drought, severe Winters), agricultural damage, and Hunter access. With the extreme variety across the US, you begin to see why each state chooses a different path. You may see trends where neighboring states have very similar rules and regs due to similarities in their habitats and wildlife.

Depending on where you are considering hunting, visit the appropriate State game and fish agency website and start sifting through their info. Small game licenses are usually available without a quote and can be purchased easily.

States set up their own systems, each one kookier than the last, so it might seem.

A great resource that give you nuts and bolts of individual states: search Randy Newberg youtube series on drawing. An example:

[video=youtube;YVIhSwSuDpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIhSwSuDpA[/video]

Hi Alan, it’s probably best to work out which state you want to hunt and then learn the tag system for that state. Unfortunately over the last few years it’s become a lot harder to get tags, but Idaho and Colorado still have over the counter elk tags and you could still hunt these this year. If you’re looking at next year Montana could be a good choice for elk, but we need to apply but should draw without any points.

Last edited:
Alan if we knew what you were looking to hunt we may be able to help you decide where to go. If you were looking for whitetail I would say to look at ky because they have a good size and population and tags are over the counter. But it would take some planning on where to go. If wild pigs were what you were looking for I'd look at ga or tx once again there's plenty of them and no problems with a license. If your looking for something out west it starts to get complicated but most animals are very do able. I'd forget the lower 48 for sheep moose or goats.
Just my 2cents

Hi.
I would love to come over and just see how you guys do it.
Deer, bear, moose. They all interest me. It just a total different system.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back