Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Everybody, say hello to Doug!

As you can see from the pic, doug's front bumper has a bit of a droop on the passenger side. What to do? Well when you have access to a welding shop and some square tube.......BAMM....start on a new bumper with front receiver and brush guard!! The cheapest I could find something similar was around 1k and this is only going to run me MAYBE $50 total. This pic shows the start, doubled up 2x2 square tube cut to length. I bought a receiver meant to turn a bumper hitch into a receiver, will flip that over and weld it on https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-capacity-step-bumper-receiver-67158.html . The bumper will be welded to 4" channel that will slide into the frame rails where it will be bolted to the frame. a piece of 3/8" plate will be welded just behind the bumper and across the channel. The receiver will be welded to the bumper and the plate. Should be pretty stout :)

Attachments

• bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 694
It's always nice when you have access to the tools and knowhow to do the work yourself. You'll have one heck of a bumper when it's finished.

Taking that welding class has been a really good decision .....just this is saving me big $$$. Plus, I will know that I did it.

OK, so finished everything but the 4in channel that is going into the frame rails today. MAN this joker is stout. I can carry it but definitely have to put my a$$ into it. welds are as pretty as I like but I was under a time crunch as this was my last day in the shop and was cutting metal for students as well. I was limited by what material was on hand and used about all of it. I am pretty happy.

Attachments

• bumper 1.jpg
    bumper 1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 349
  • bumper 2.jpg
    bumper 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 350
Doug came home tonight. Took the trip from FtCo to the Springs at 75 with the cruise on :) Got a tune up and took those ugly assed running boards off before the trip. So far so good :)

I bought a Suburban years ago and the first thing I did when I got it home was yank the stupid running boards off.

Already looks much better without those "grampa" running boards.

Hey, I take offense to that comment. I just bought a new F250 for my Vet truck and these damn things keep getting higher and higher. At 6' 2" I have to step up.... it's a real pain in the a$$. Why do they have to make them so high? When you are old... running boards are GOOD :)

good luck to all
the dog

Hey, I take offense to that comment. I just bought a new F250 for my Vet truck and these damn things keep getting higher and higher. At 6' 2" I have to step up.... it's a real pain in the a$$. Why do they have to make them so high? When you are old... running boards are GOOD :)

good luck to all
the dog

The seat in this one is actually lower than what my Tacoma was.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back